How important is this document?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: How important is this document?

Post by ricbru »

Chris, yes, if you have not the complete paperwork, you can not apply.
You can check at parish records, diocesis records, Strongoli civil record office, and at NY vital statistics
ciao Riccardo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Chris - check your PM's (click "Inbox" at the top-right side of the window)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Insegnante

Post by Insegnante »

Thanks Riccardo :-)

I will do that!
I hope I will find something.

Chris
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

lets cross fingers and toes,
good luck
in bocca al lupo
ciao Riccardo
Insegnante wrote:Thanks Riccardo :-)

I will do that!
I hope I will find something.

Chris
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Chris, have you seen this census?

I think this is your grandparent's, even though the wife is listed as Virginia. Reviewing the actual document, it says age at first marriage was 34 for Eugene and 22 for Virginia. This might put the actual year of marriage at 1925.

1930 United States Federal Census about Eugene Casanova Name: Eugene Casanova
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Virginia Casanova
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Eugene Casanova 38
Virginia Casanova 26
Pasquale Casanova 5
Gene Casanova 1 6/12 (means 1 and 1/2 years)

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Also, what does your grandfather's Petition for Naturalization say about his date and place of marriage? Should be on the Declaration of Intent as well.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Is the "Anderson Family Tree" created by Ancestry . com member "crogone" yours?

It is a private tree which includes both Eugenio and Regina. If it is not yours, then perhaps this person has additional information that might be helpful to you.

Anderson Family Tree at Ancestry . com
Carmine

Insegnante

Post by Insegnante »

Insegnante wrote: How would I go about getting documentation for their marriage? Any suggestions?
I have spent $$$ having searches done in NYC Municipal Archives from 1922-1926. No luck.
According to my GF Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization, they were married September 24, 1924 in Brooklyn, NY.

Chris
Thanks Carmine!
Yes, that is their 1930 Census. My grandmother loved the name Virginia and often used it (go figure :-) )
The Anderson tree is also mine (the Swedish side of my family)

Guess I'll just have to accept that if I don't find a copy of their marriage record...no dual citizenship.

Chris
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Insegnante wrote:
Insegnante wrote: How would I go about getting documentation for their marriage? Any suggestions?
I have spent $$$ having searches done in NYC Municipal Archives from 1922-1926. No luck.
According to my GF Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization, they were married September 24, 1924 in Brooklyn, NY.

Chris
Thanks Carmine!
Yes, that is their 1930 Census. My grandmother loved the name Virginia and often used it (go figure :-) )
The Anderson tree is also mine (the Swedish side of my family)

Guess I'll just have to accept that if I don't find a copy of their marriage record...no dual citizenship.

Chris
I have great respect for Riccardo, however I would not rule anything out. As I said, Italian citizenship law does not require that a child be legitimate, thus I see no reason to absolutely demand proof of marriage.
Carmine

Insegnante

Post by Insegnante »

I am hopeful. And I will pursue it to its end.

Thanks so much for your quick and very comprehensive assistance. :-)

(And Riccardo's, too!)

I'll let you all know if/when I am successful :-D

Chris
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Chris,

I had the same situation -- grandparents married in Brooklyn in the early 20s. After having searches done in the Archives without luck, I followed-up with an e-mail to them and was told, "In theory marriages were to be reported to the city, but we have found that sometimes those performed in an RC church were not."

I would try to collect more records to narrow down where they lived at the time. You should be able to find a church marriage record. My folks are still alive, and knew that my GGM and GM attended the same church where my parents were also married. However when I first asked for a search they said they didn't have the marriage record! I had to follow-up repeatedly and finally got two in separate mailings... with different years (but the correct names).

So as you say, keep trying! You may have to call to follow-up. My family lived in Flatbush, which had a lot of Italian Americans at that time. Carroll Gardens is another area of Brooklyn that has been Italian for about a hundred years (though it's less so now). If nothing else, you can start with those neighborhoods (I know there are others). If the Churches are closed, other parishes should have the records (unfortunately a lot have closed, even in my time -- one around the corner, and many before it, being turned into co-ops).
Insegnante

Post by Insegnante »

KarenChristino wrote:Chris,

I had the same situation -- grandparents married in Brooklyn in the early 20s. After having searches done in the Archives without luck, I followed-up with an e-mail to them and was told, "In theory marriages were to be reported to the city, but we have found that sometimes those performed in an RC church were not."
Hello Karen :-) :-)

Thanks so much for these encouraging words!!!

I was beginning to think that this is what may have happened (or maybe I was just hoping). At least it gives me real hope that I may be able to find a marriage record at a church.

Thanks so very, very much!!!

Chris
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I have found with these churches that some of them are very, very responsive and you hear from them right away. Some of them just don't respond. When you call, they tell you they'll do it and then they often don't. Some of them ask for donations and they all seem to cash the checks right away! It is frustrating as it's often hard to tell how thorough they are. Did they really check the records of the other church like they said they would? I finally asked one that I'd targeted for a Manhattan baptism record if I could come in and do the search myself. They wouldn't allow it.
Insegnante

Post by Insegnante »

Thanks for the "heads up" about responsiveness of churches :-)
I will patient AND persistent.

Do you know what churches are/were located near these addresses?

2100 block of East 9th St., Brooklyn
400 block of East 16th St. "
800 block of Bedford Ave. "
500 block of DeKalb Ave. "

I have a baptism record (in Italian) for their first child dated June 1925 from Chiesa Santa Maria della Pace, Carroll St., Brooklyn, - Is that anywhere near any of the above addresses?

Any help would be appreciated :-D

Chris
LuigiF

Post by LuigiF »

Ciao Insegnante;

Reading your post has brought back so many memories of my road to italian Citizenship.

You were born after 1948 and your mother was was born 16yrs before your GF was naturalized. Then your Mother was born an Italian Citizen and you are as well through blood.

You will need the marriage Cert for your GF & GM, that was one document they asked for when I went through the process.
It will take alot of digging but you will find it.
I ended up finding the cert through public records.

Ciao
Luigi