Passenger List Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Passenger List Question

Postby DebiHarbuck » 04 Oct 2010, 00:26

What does it mean when a line is drawn through passengers' names on a passenger list? I have this passenger list for Antonio Pisano & Filomena Barbato. Later in the list they also appear as "HELD for Inquiry" and are listed as stowaways? Does the line through their names indicate that they were denied bording in Italy and then stowed away on the ship?

Their daughter, Teresina Pisano, also sailed on this ship, but is listed later...separate from them.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Passenger List Question

Postby Tessa78 » 04 Oct 2010, 02:09

This site explains manifest markings.

It may help shed some light on the "cross out" and the "inquiry"

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/

T.

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 04 Oct 2010, 02:28

Thank you, Tessa!
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 04 Oct 2010, 03:12

I believe they sailed, even though their names were crossed off of the manifest page, since their names do appear on the page with those held over for special inquiry. As stowaways, a decision would then have been made whether they were likely to be public charges, and would therefore be deported, or whether they would still be admitted into this country. They might have had to work on the ship to pay for their fares, so their names might also appear with the crew list, if they did. I think that crossing out the names in this case just meant that their names were moved to another page.

Here are two links which might help you:

1. go to the website googlebooks.com and type in the following:

Ancestry magazine Jan-Feb 2003

In the box which appears under the magazine picture, type in the word stowaways-click on the option for page 31; also info on page 32

2. also on googlebooks.com

The family tree guide to finding your Ellis Island ancestors
By Sharon DeBartolo Carmack

type in "stowaways" in the box under the photo of the book and then click on the option for page 23

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 04 Oct 2010, 03:19

Thanks, again! I've been going through the manifest and finding a fascinating story.

They did sail, and appear later on in the list on a separate page with the handwritten heading "Stowaway Manifest" and again in the list of "Held for Inquiry" at the end. The stowaway manifest indicates that Antonio was denied initial boarding because he had double hernias.

They arrived on the 15th of November and were eventually admitted and released to their son, Constantino, on the 18th of November.

What a journey!

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 04 Oct 2010, 03:21

Debi,
I'm happy you were able to confirm that they did, in fact, sail.
Peg

donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby donnawright » 04 Oct 2010, 20:33

I enjoyed reading your posts. Peg, I'm also going to check out the references you cited. Thanks for sharing them.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”