Amending Parent's Marriage Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Amending Parent's Marriage Certificate

Postby ande » 04 Oct 2010, 17:21

Hi All,
I am going to try and have my birth certificate amended to correct my mother's maiden name from Messina to Masino. I have a certification of birth from NYC and her death NJ death certificate. Her birth certificate has Giuseppina Masino and her death certificate lists her father's last name as Masino, although it lists her first name as Josephine.I believe they will correct my birth certificate.
Will the State of New Jersey correct or amend my parent's marriage certificate with this same documentation? It has her name as Jean Messina. I will also have my father's death certificate. If not, do you think the consulate will accept what I do have and the statement from the state that they can't amend it?
Should I have my birth certificate corrected first and then try getting their marriage certificate corrected, or do them both at the same time?
Any ideas?
Thanks, Ande

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Amending Parent's Marriage Certificate

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Oct 2010, 17:36

It would certainly be worth trying to amend your parent's marriage certificate, however I do not believe New Jersey permits this unless at least one of the spouses is still living:

General Corrections to All Vital Records, Birth, Death, Marriage, Civil Union or Domestic Partnership.

General corrections to vital records are made via an REG-34 General Amendment form, available at any vital records office. General corrections fall into three categories; ancillary, non-ancillary items and typographical errors.

Ancillary items are non-critical supplemental items. In most cases these corrections can be accepted and amended certified copies issued immediately by the Local Registrar without review or authorization by the State Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration.

Non-ancillary items are critical items, requiring review and approval by the State Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration prior to being accepted and amended copies issued.

Non-Ancillary items are:

•Name of the subject(s) of the record
•Date of the event
•Place of the event
•In some cases, parent names
•Domestic Status, Name of Spouse/Partner on Marriage, Civil Union, and Domestic Partnership certificates
•Domestic Status, Surviving Spouse/Partner and all medical/injury data on Death certificates

Typographical or documented hospital errors require the signature of the parent(s) listed on the birth certificate, or the child upon the age of 18 and may require proof of the documented error. In most cases, the parents may file for correction of typographical or documented hospital errors through the local registrar’s office where the vital event occurred.

Correction requests for a marriage/civil union or domestic partnership requires one or both applicants to sign the amendment form.

Correction requests for a death certificate requires the signature of an individual with definite knowledge and documentary proof of the requested amendment. Note: Only the medical certifier or medical examiner has the authority to amend any medical related data on the death certificate.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/amend.shtml
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ande
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Amending Parent's Marriage Certificate

Postby ande » 04 Oct 2010, 17:54

Thanks, Carmine. What do you think about first having my birth certificate amended and then trying for the marriage certificate versus doing them both at the same time? They would be from two different cities in NJ.
Ande

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”