Question about discrepancies in documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 07 Oct 2010, 03:15

I've seen a few people posting about problems with inaccuracies in records used for dual citizenship.

Here are some I have encountered so far:

My GGX2 grandparents marriage record list my GG Grandfather (Giuseppe Maietta) as Joseppe Maetta and his wife (who's Italian name is Giovannina D'Andrea) is listed as Jennie Dandy. Except, the part where they sign their names my GG grandfather signs his has Giuseppe Maietta, and his wife signs hers as Jennie D'Andy.

Also, my great grandfather, who is listed on all documents I know of (I don't have his birth record) as Andrew Maietta, but on his father's naturalization record (which lists dependents) he is listed as Andrea Maietta (and his brothers as their Italian names).

These are all I have encountered so far, but I'm sure I'll find more. Do I need to get these corrected? If so, how?

Oh, and one more thing, my GG Grandmother (Giovannina D'Andrea) will most likely be listed as Elisa Clemanni on her birth record (she was a proietta). How do I explain this?

P.S.

When we finally do apply, we'll most likely apply at the Philadelphia Consulate.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby ricbru » 09 Oct 2010, 19:58

Yes, amend the marriage and death record of Giuseppe Maietta and Giovannina D'Andrea, for sure starting from their own birth records.
How come Elisa Clemanni turned as Giovannina D'andrea?
This one I guess will be hard....
Riccardo

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 09 Oct 2010, 21:45

ricbru wrote:Yes, amend the marriage and death record of Giuseppe Maietta and Giovannina D'Andrea, for sure starting from their own birth records.
How come Elisa Clemanni turned as Giovannina D'andrea?
This one I guess will be hard....
Riccardo


Thanks for the reply.

She was a proietta, and was born under the name Elisa Clemanni. She took the name of the family who's care she was put into (not only the surname, but also the first name they gave her).

I'll look into amending the other records. I hear it can take years to get a document from Italy amended. Do you think they would allow me to apply without Jennie's (Elisa's, Giovannina's, etc) birth record.
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby ricbru » 10 Oct 2010, 07:53

If Elisa Clemanni was born with that name, and changed in Giovannina D'Andrea, because the D'Andrea family took care of her, you need a new birth record with the name of Giovannina D'Andrea on it, or an adoption record with the name change from Elisa Clemanni to Giovannina D'Andrea.
Sometime people used to take care of this proietti, and never legally changed anything.
You need also her birth record too
hugs
Riccardo

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 10 Oct 2010, 21:31

ricbru wrote:If Elisa Clemanni was born with that name, and changed in Giovannina D'Andrea, because the D'Andrea family took care of her, you need a new birth record with the name of Giovannina D'Andrea on it, or an adoption record with the name change from Elisa Clemanni to Giovannina D'Andrea.
Sometime people used to take care of this proietti, and never legally changed anything.
You need also her birth record too
hugs
Riccardo


Thanks, Riccardo. I'll see what I can do. If all else fails, I'll try going without it. I don't need her birth cert to prove I'm eligible for citizenship, after all.
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby ricbru » 11 Oct 2010, 16:25

Ok, let me know, are you sure you do not need it?
bye Riccardo

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 15 Oct 2010, 04:30

ricbru wrote:Ok, let me know, are you sure you do not need it?
bye Riccardo


Sorry, I missed this post.

I'm positive. Her husband was born in Italy in 1880, he came here (married Elisa/Jennie/Giovannina) had a son (my great grandfather) in 1909, was naturalized in 1913, my grandmother was born in 1943, and my mother was born after 1948.

So do you think I could get by without it, if I explain my reasons?

Thanks!
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 15 Oct 2010, 04:34

Oh yeah, one more thing. Something I have been dreading is getting all the American documents translated (that and getting apostilles). I read somewhere that the consulate in Houston doesn't require translations. Can anybody tell me if this is true? That would be a big weight lifted off my shoulders, as I'm probably moving to Texas soon (yes from Virginia to Texas, and before VA, Florida :lol: )
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby ricbru » 15 Oct 2010, 08:26

Dear Squigy, yes you need Elisa/Jennie/Giovannina birth certificate (otherwise application is not complete and denied), and all the US civil records need to be translated into italian, otherwise, how can the italian civil record office would file your US records, in order to give you the italian citizenship?
US civil records need apostille from the state where birth, marriage and death of your ancestors occurred, and italian civil record office needs the translation because the US records need to be filed in italy and written in italian.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 15 Oct 2010, 09:02

ricbru wrote:Dear Squigy, yes you need Elisa/Jennie/Giovannina birth certificate (otherwise application is not complete and denied), and all the US civil records need to be translated into italian, otherwise, how can the italian civil record office would file your US records, in order to give you the italian citizenship?
US civil records need apostille from the state where birth, marriage and death of your ancestors occurred, and italian civil record office needs the translation because the US records need to be filed in italy and written in italian.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo


From the website MyItalianCitizenship.com:

If you are an American and you fall under the jurisdiction of the Italian consulate in Houston, you do NOT need to provide translations. They will translate your certificates for you. Continue directly to Step 6: Preparing for an Appointment with the Italian Embassy or Consulate. If you are not applying through an Italian consulate in the USA, find out if you need to provide your own translations. If not, you can skip this step.



I wasn't sure if this was true or not. Have you ever heard anything about the consulate in Houston not needing translations? If I DO need them, that's fine. I just thought I'd have a little less work to do.

I guess I'll have to see what can be done about the birth record. That's going to be a problem.

Thanks again for all your help!
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
mike123
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 64
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 01:37

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby mike123 » 15 Oct 2010, 12:51

A member posted a couple days ago about his appointment at the Houston consulate and he actually forgot to get a document translated ad had to leave and get it translated then come back. You 100% need a translation

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 16 Oct 2010, 00:59

mike123 wrote:A member posted a couple days ago about his appointment at the Houston consulate and he actually forgot to get a document translated ad had to leave and get it translated then come back. You 100% need a translation


Thanks! I didn't think that made a lot of sense.
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 01:35
Location: Denton, Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby amaglioc » 16 Oct 2010, 02:08

You might be referring to my case. What happened was I had translated the wrong form of my birth certificate. I had the "short" form translated and needed to have the "long" form translated. Houston does indeed require full and complete translations like other consulates.

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby Squigy » 16 Oct 2010, 02:23

amaglioc wrote:You might be referring to my case. What happened was I had translated the wrong form of my birth certificate. I had the "short" form translated and needed to have the "long" form translated. Houston does indeed require full and complete translations like other consulates.


Thanks, Amoglioc. As I said, I didn't think it made much sense.
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
mike123
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 64
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 01:37

Re: Question about discrepancies in documents

Postby mike123 » 16 Oct 2010, 14:28

Yes it was amaglioc case. Sorry about my confusion on the story. Point being you still need a translation which brings me to my question. What is an average price per document? Anyone know someone good and reasonably priced ? And is there some sort of certification they must have?


Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests