Requesting naturalization certificate from USCIS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Requesting naturalization certificate from USCIS

Postby beauac » 10 Oct 2010, 15:32

I decided I will get a copy of my gggfs naturalization certificate from USCIS. But on the website it says they dont give certified copies. Is this ok?

By the way on the oath of allegiance page I have for him it says certificate of naturalization number followed by a handwritten seven digit number. Is this the c number I submit?

Thanks again.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Requesting naturalization certificate from USCIS

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 10 Oct 2010, 15:51

Ciao Beauac,

Do a record search with USCIS and they will give you the C Number, then you can request the record.

I don't believe any consulate requires a certified copy of this doc b/c it is impossible to get one. You can check with your local consulate though.

Ciao.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 10 Oct 2010, 16:56

A record search will delay things. I was under the impression that I might already have the c number. I think its the one one the oath of allegiance. Waiting for confirmation. Thanks.

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 11 Oct 2010, 17:05

Just hoping someone can confirm whether or not this is the c number needed to search uscis records for a naturalization certificate. I need to order the search asap. This was taken off the oath of allegiance page of my gggfs naturalization papers.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Oct 2010, 18:21

Yes, that is the number of the actual certificate of naturalization and the same as the "C File" number. When completing the USCIS order form, you have to enter the letter "C" followed by the number, thus: C3234437.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Oct 2010, 18:27

PS: Two important notes:

1) When ordering from USCIS, there used to be a checkbox to request email/electronic copy of the documents. Be sure to check the Yes box (they actually send the files on a CD). Copies printed by USCIS are notoriously bad; if you load the file into an image eding program and tweak the contrast, you can get a much better printout. Regardless, simply printing on a standard color inkjet printer will give you much better output than USCIS's crappy monochrome laser printers.

2) USCIS redacts personal information from documents not relating to the actual new citizen. In practice, this means that the birthdates of the citizen's spouse and children will be blacked out. It's a shame because this is one of the few places where we can sometimes find this information. NARA and local court copies are not redacted, however, so this is one good reason to search those venues if at all possible.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 11 Oct 2010, 18:55

Thanks a mil. Ill remember that. By the way it says it can take 90 days for the certificate to come. Not exactly fast. Do consulates require the actual certificate, or can I use the papers that I already have (intent, petition, oath) including the last page which says he was accepted for naturalization in 1930?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Oct 2010, 19:00

For most consulates, the Petition for Naturalization along with the Oath of Allegiance (which was actually the backside of the pre-printed Petition form) is good enough. Certainly was for me when I applied in NYC in mid-2008; I still don't have a copy of that grandfather's certificate. Got to take care of that one of these days...

I do believe that Miami is one consulate which insists on having a copy of the actual certificate.
Carmine

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 11 Oct 2010, 20:58

Indeed. Philadelphia Consulate accepted a copy of my grand-father's Declaration, Petition and Oath from Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives with no questions asked. As long as the Oath page contains the Certificate number, you don't need anything fancy.

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 11 Oct 2010, 21:36

If this is the case I will order the document but if it takes too long and I have all the other documents I will simply apply with the naturalization papers I already have in my possession.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”