NYC Italian Consulate Website Eligibility Confusion

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

NYC Italian Consulate Website Eligibility Confusion

Postby beauac » 12 Oct 2010, 02:11

I am a bit confused. It seems to be established that there is no generational limit to obtaining Italian citizenship jure sanguinis. Why on the nyc consular website does it seem to imply otherwise? Is it just uncommon to apply from a great great grandfather like me? The website says: Who may apply.

Category 1) your father was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth and you never renounced your right to Italian citizenship;
Category 2) your mother was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, you were born after January 1, 1948, and you never renounced your right to Italian citizenship;
Category 3) your father was born in the United States or a Country other than Italy, your paternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of your father’s birth, neither you nor your father ever renounced your right to the Italian citizenship;
Category 4) your mother was born in the United States or a Country other than Italy, your maternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of your mother’s birth, you were born after January 1, 1948 and neither you nor your mother ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship;
Category 5) your paternal or maternal grandparents were born in the United States from Italian parents and they never renounced their right to Italian citizenship. (Please note: the Italian mother can transfer her Italian citizenship only to children born after 01/01/1948).

Thats it. Then, on the forms you have to download to apply, they only mention as far back as great grandfathers. So how can I even use these forms to apply in my situation? I am feeling a bit confused now, can anyone shed some light on this?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: NYC Italian Consulate Website Eligibility Confusion

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Oct 2010, 02:28

I think it is a combination of the fact that everything you see is translated from the original Italian and that some nuances get lost. In trying to make it easily digestable, they have left out some of the meat.

There is, in fact, no generational limit. The forms have to end somewhere, so they stop at a convenient point. You can simply add additional data as necessary on a blank sheet. In truth, my experperience (and others, I believe) was that Form1 and Form2 are ignored entirely; only 3 and 4 are used to certify ancestor's non-renunciation.

As a practical matter, there is a potential generational limit based upon the fact that modern Italy only came into existence in 1861. If your ancestor left Italy in 1850 and died prior to 1861, then he was never an "Italian" citizen and thus had nothing to pass on to his children. There are several variations of this quirk, but the gist is that your Italian ancestor had to be around long enough to actually become "Italian" on that day in 1861 when the various city-states of Italy became a unified country.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 12 Oct 2010, 02:50

Thanks. Do you know of anyone who has applied through great great grandfather and got it? Also I was thinking since everyone says appointments are backed up at the nyc consulate do you think it would be clever to call now and ask for an appointment even before I have all the documents to speed things up? I am thinking ill have everything done in a month or less. If I wait until I collect everything and then call I am delaying this more.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Oct 2010, 02:56

beauac wrote:Thanks. Do you know of anyone who has applied through great great grandfather and got it?

I have no doubt that a bit of searching on this and other forums will turn up someone. The biggest problem is that the more generations you have to reach back, the more likely you are to run into missing documents or unresolvable discrepancies.

Also I was thinking since everyone says appointments are backed up at the nyc consulate do you think it would be clever to call now and ask for an appointment even before I have all the documents to speed things up? I am thinking ill have everything done in a month or less. If I wait until I collect everything and then call I am delaying this more.

You might as well go ahead and make your appointment; that seems to be what everyone else is doing. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”