Any way to find out C Number without doing index search 1st?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Any way to find out C Number without doing index search 1st?

Postby JPMessina44 » 17 Oct 2010, 01:42

Curious about this...would save time ordering the index search, and then having to order the documents itself.....

I'm headed to NARA NYC this week or next, so I am hoping my information needed will be there, but if not, Im really feeling the pressure of this Jan 2011 consulate meeting.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Any way to find out C Number without doing index search

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Oct 2010, 07:59

Other than searching indexes at sites like ancestry . com and footnote, no. As I recall, we did not find anything regarding your ancestor's naturalization. If you are lucky, your NARA visit will produce the documents; if not, then you will have to order an Index Search from USCIS.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Any way to find out C Number without doing index search

Postby JPMessina44 » 17 Oct 2010, 15:45

That's my concern, I guess. Getting the index search results could be a few weeks and then ordering the file can be a few weeks to months or years. Best thing to do is to go to NARA and hope they hit something. There's a couple Paolo Messinas for Bronx county courts, 2 declaration and one petition....so fingers r crossed that's him. I saw the census 1930, so even tho not a lock, he had FA, so that automatically shows that my grandpa was born before my ggfather became naturalized (if he did.).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”