ItalianGen may have verified my grtfather's naturalizat

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

ItalianGen may have verified my grtfather's naturalizat

Postby JPMessina44 » 17 Oct 2010, 02:34

Obviously this isn't bullet proof, but I found Bronx County Court records on ItalianGen.org for a Paolo Messina showing that he submitted his Declaration (which jives with his 1930 Census showing FA) and a petition has a Paolo Messina Record...

Messina Paolo Volume 307 - Petition Number 92879 SoundEx: M250

If this is in fact my greatgrandfather, might have been a HUGE thing, cause he would have did the process thru the Bronx County Court, so going to NARA in NYC personally, might have all of my records needed and I can avoid USCIS.

http://www.italiangen.org/Bronxresults. ... indenter=p

One can only hope that he went thru the process and became naturalized. My grandfather was born in 1927, 1930 Census shows FA, so he was born BEFOREmy greatgranfather may have gone thru the process.

Sorry for the ramble, I guess I am excited over this find. DOnt wanna get hopes up though...

mler
Master
Master

Re: ItalianGen may have verified my grtfather's natural

Postby mler » 17 Oct 2010, 13:50

Good luck. This would be great. The application process is so much easier when the original ancestor DID naturalize (at the right time of course).

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 17 Oct 2010, 16:32

Yeah, I'm really hoping that he did naturalize and the records are with NARA. Only concern is that perhaps he went thru the process in the coujnty court but became naturalized in the supreme or district court. If that was the case, I assume NARA would only have the First Paper and Petition but not the actual oath.

If this was the case and the first paper submittal and petition all would be dated AFTER my grandfathers birth, would the consulate really need the Path from USCIS then?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 17 Oct 2010, 21:26

When I applied, the only document in which the consulate was interested was the Oath although it does seem obvious that the Oath could not have been taken before the Petition and the Declaration. I think that if NARA has the Declaration and the Petition, they also have the Oath.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”