Am I taking a gamble ?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Am I taking a gamble ?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 01:02

Ok. Im wrapping things up and making a list of the last things I need to accomplish before my appt. Im applying through my G grandfather so there is many generations to cover. Philly says they want birth marriage and death for EVERYONE in DIRECT and NON DIRECT line certified copy, translated and sealed (Its ridiculous) Ive heard many over the last year say this is over kill and I could possibly wing it with less. I want to know if Im taking a gamble going in with just:
ONLY DIRECT line birth, marriage and death.
Translations ONLY on my certificates, my spouse and my children
Translations done by me or a friend

I figure the worst they can do is ask for more AFTER the appointment. What do you think? And out of these what need a seal? And please dont ask me to call or email them because many on this board say that philly is not answering anyone about anything. I just want an opinion from people who "been there done that" :lol:

MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Am I taking a gamble ?

Postby MST995 » 22 Oct 2010, 17:14

If they ask, just tell them that you didn't have the money to have everything done and if they need all of that then go get it done and see if you can just mail it to them after.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 17:32

I know that wont fly with them. Im under the impression from people here that the workers are quite cocky and condescending. But I am hoping that if I dont have it they will start a file and wait for me to mail what they need.

priere
Rookie
Rookie

Postby priere » 22 Oct 2010, 17:41

DeFilippis78 wrote:Ok. Im wrapping things up and making a list of the last things I need to accomplish before my appt. Im applying through my G grandfather so there is many generations to cover. Philly says they want birth marriage and death for EVERYONE in DIRECT and NON DIRECT line certified copy, translated and sealed (Its ridiculous) Ive heard many over the last year say this is over kill and I could possibly wing it with less. I want to know if Im taking a gamble going in with just:
ONLY DIRECT line birth, marriage and death.
Translations ONLY on my certificates, my spouse and my children
Translations done by me or a friend

I figure the worst they can do is ask for more AFTER the appointment. What do you think? And out of these what need a seal? And please dont ask me to call or email them because many on this board say that philly is not answering anyone about anything. I just want an opinion from people who "been there done that" :lol:

Get every single BC, MC and DC apostilled. This legalizes the documents.

Get your BC and MC translated and if you have any minor children get their BC translated as well.

If you do the translations I would at least notarize a "Certificate of Accuracy" type statement for the translations. If you have a translator do them for you, they should include this certificate.

And yes, if they want more than what you have they'll tell you at the appointment.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 17:54

Did they want your non direct line though? Ive heard people say some consulates dont even look at them. Its a total waste.

priere
Rookie
Rookie

Postby priere » 22 Oct 2010, 17:56

DeFilippis78 wrote:Did they want your non direct line though? Ive heard people say some consulates dont even look at them. Its a total waste.

My consulate was Boston and he specifically asked for everything to be apostilled and did take it all as well.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 17:59

Really? They seem more strict over there. I dont even understand why non direct line matters being the citizenship isnt passed through them. I think they make it difficult and costly so you wont go, lol!

priere
Rookie
Rookie

Postby priere » 22 Oct 2010, 18:03

DeFilippis78 wrote:Really? They seem more strict over there. I dont even understand why non direct line matters being the citizenship isnt passed through them. I think they make it difficult and costly so you wont go, lol!

Most my documents were from CT and their apostilles cost 40$ each so it did get expensive.

In your case, I'd probably only get my direct line apostilled first too because if they want more than that they'll tell you when you're at the appointment.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 18:07

Ciao DeFilippis,

Philly has told me repeatedly not to bother getting any docs that are not in the direct line. I was told I only needed,

my kids birth certs
my marriage cert
my birth cert

my parents marriage cert
my dad's birth cert (not my mom's)

my grandparent's marriage cert
my grandfather's birth cert (not my grandmother's)

my great grandparent's marriage cert
my great grandfathers Italian birth cert
my great grandfather's death cert
my great grandfather's naturalization papers

All translated into Italian by a "recommenced" translator except the naturalization papers and my GGF's Italian birth cert.

All with Apostille except the naturalization papers and my GGF's Italian birth cert.

That's what they've told me at least.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 18:07

Wow! 40? Thats insane. Im only hesitant to get non direct line because NJ vital dept is retarded. I went in person to get my mothers. They told me they couldnt find her! They asked for additional info and charged me for the second search! I couldnt believe it. So I have all my directt line and was kind of hoping I can go with just that and not get thrown out

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 18:09

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:Ciao DeFilippis,

Philly has told me repeatedly not to bother getting any docs that are not in the direct line. I was told I only needed,

my kids birth certs
my marriage cert
my birth cert

my parents marriage cert
my dad's birth cert (not my mom's)

my grandparent's marriage cert
my grandfather's birth cert (not my grandmother's)

my great grandparent's marriage cert
my great grandfathers Italian birth cert
my great grandfather's death cert
my great grandfather's naturalization papers

All translated into Italian by a "recommenced" translator except the naturalization papers and my GGF's Italian birth cert.

All with Apostille except the naturalization papers and my GGF's Italian birth cert.

That's what they've told me at least.

Oh sweet! So they gave you all that info without giving you an appointment? LOL! Terrible!

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 18:10

Gotta love Philly ;)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 18:17

Do they respond to emails that arent about appointments?

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 18:33

They've always responded to my emails, but I haven't emailed them in about a month. I've read that they have stopped responding all together since then, but I haven't experienced that myself.

They've never answered the phone or returned a call to me, ever.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Oct 2010, 18:34

Did they want your spouses birth certificate? I know the spouse cant apply until your already a citizen and approved but I thought maybe they want it in advance?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”