Anyone ever seek an appointment with the consul general?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Anyone ever seek an appointment with the consul general?

Postby Mulé » 22 Oct 2010, 12:57

Does anyone know the protocol to request an appointment with the consul general?
Can I just request an appointment at the front desk?
Has anyone ever made an appointment to meet with the consul general?

tia

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Anyone ever seek an appointment with the consul general?

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 16:17

Ciao Tia,

I haven't met with the consul general, but in my never ending quest to get an appt I have emailed with the consul in Philly. Also, my translator once told me a story about being denied citizenship and having to demand seeing the consul, so it is possible :)

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 22 Oct 2010, 16:24

lol - tia - as in thanks in advance for the reply
If I can't make any headway with the official in the coming weeks, then I will try to get an appointment with the consul general. Thanks for giving me hope that it is possible.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 22 Oct 2010, 16:49

Whydonyou nlneed an appointment with the consul general?

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 22 Oct 2010, 17:19

I have been unsuccessful in getting an appointment with the citizenship office. I have been unsuccessful in getting a response from the citizenship office. I have supplied every document requested, no matter how inconsequential and off the beaten path (i.e. the Alien Registration application form for my m-ggm [non blood line], etc...) and I am still being put off. I have requested an appointment to file my application, to get a determination either way, and have been put off. I no longer get responses via email, phone, letter from the citizenship office. The only time I get any response is to show up at the consulate early, wait until the end of the day and everyone else is seen ahead of me, and finally he will see me, but not before telling me there is nothing that he can do to assist me. There isn't any outstanding documentation, there isn't any reasoning, no arguments and no explanation as to why I can not have an appointment to file. It is absolutely crazy. The more I talk about it too, the more determined I am to get in my car and show up Monday morning. It really is incredible. Nobody else has had this experience with Boston, so I am wondering what I am doing special to deserve this attention. LOL :)

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 17:52

Mulé wrote:lol - tia - as in thanks in advance for the reply
If I can't make any headway with the official in the coming weeks, then I will try to get an appointment with the consul general. Thanks for giving me hope that it is possible.

Oops :oops:

I've had a similar prob with Philly, but here it is something everyone is facing. My translator sent me an email with something that might help you. I'll pm a copy to you.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 18:01

Sorry, I can't figure out how to attach a doc. :(

It is some Italian law that says all bureaucrats must respond to official requests within 30 days. That doesn't help me b/c I always get a reply, although it is always a brush off. Maybe it would help you?

Also, have you tried emailing the consul? I have gone back and forth with the consul in Philly and with some representatives in the Italian parliament who have intervened on my behalf (although it didn't help me get an appt). Maybe one of those things might help.

Buona Fortuna.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 22 Oct 2010, 18:23

You are the only other person I have heard of that is getting the brush off. I have found new strength in numbers. :) Why are you being brushed off? Is it just because Philly is booked so far into the future?

I have not yet tried to email the consul general in Boston. Is that considered an official request and does that apply to people who are not under that officials purview? I can't imagine they can be held to that law when both participants aren't Italian citizens, albeit yet, right? I haven't been having any luck corresponding via email in any event. LOL. The consul's email isn't even listed on the website.

I hope your situation is worked out, seems like you have escalated it beyond where I am at. I am somewhat hesitant to even file in Boston now, as I don't want there to be a problem losing my papers, or just having my life's research sit on someone's desk, or something else unthinkable. I guess the alternative is to suck it up and file in Italy, or take the chance with Boston through further insistence and escalation to the consul general. I have an uneasy feeling about the latter.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 18:41

No, I still haven't gotten passed begging for an appt. They tell me they are all booked up til who knows when and that in 2011 I'll be able to schedule an appt. for sometime in 2012. Of course, I'm hoping that means Jan 2011, but that hasn't exactly been said. And there is always the chance the consulate will close in 2011, so who knows where I'll end up then!

The Philly consul's email isn't on the site either, I had to search around the net a bit to find it :), but he did respond and was very friendly. Ultimately, though he told me the same thing the citizenship office was telling me.

As far as losing papers go, I sent my letter of intent to file certified mail. Then at least I'd have some proof I sent it, even if it got lost.

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 22 Oct 2010, 18:51

Yeah it is crazy. Why don't they hire more staff to handle the demand? I guess they don't want to open up the flood gate to allow more people to become recognized.

I guess you could always go to Italy and file for residency, then apply for citizenship. From what I understand, the process can start immediately and resolve quickly, much quicker than submitting through the consulate. I guess it is all about the gate keepers. lol

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Oct 2010, 23:28

I'd love to do it in Italy, just for the excuse to go back again! But it seems a bit expensive. Believe me, I have thought about it. I'm hoping things will work out in the New Year.

As for hiring more people, I think they could probably work past noon and that would help. Or do they make appts after that, but won't take calls? I know the phone says to call between 8 or 9 and Noon. Doesn't really matter much as they don't seem incline to answer the phone anyhow. At least they are good about returning emails quickly or at least mine :)

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 22 Oct 2010, 23:45

Yeah, I can't find airfare for less than $1k. :( I could be wrong, but from what I heard, you just need to be preset for the establishing residency part, then you can assign power of attorney and they can follow the process up until completion on your behalf. But then you would miss out on all that gelato... lol.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 23 Oct 2010, 02:33

I've heard the same thing with the attorney, but then you got to add attorney fees in with the airfare and that can add up to a lot, especially as it is free, if painstakingly slow, a few hours east in Philly. Although, I will admit that if it's going to Italy or not doing it at all, then I'll be on the first thing smoking to Fiumicino!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Oct 2010, 07:53

Last January I mailed a letter to the console generale requesting his office's assistance in locating any records which the consulate may have in regards to an incident involving my grandfather in the early 1900's (it's a long story...). I received an email response less than one week later.

I would suggest writing a carefully-worded, respectful, letter and mailing it to the attention of the console generale. At the very least, you will stir things up and force a resolution, one way or the other.

If you use a mix of Italian courtesy and proper English, you will at least make an impression:

------------------------

23 ottobre 2010

Dott. Giuseppe Pastorelli
Console Generale d'Italia a Boston
Consolato Generale d'Italia
600 Atlantic Ave Ste 17
Boston, MA 02210-2206

Egregio Dottore,

blah, blah, blah.
blah, blah, blah.

Distinti saluti,

Enzo Mulé
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 23 Oct 2010, 13:07

Very good idea. I think I might head down there next week to give the official one last chance. I will prepare a letter and bring it with me, should there be no resolution, I will submit it seeking an appointment or some resolution. Thanks

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”