Unresponsive comune, its been almost a year!!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Unresponsive comune, its been almost a year!!!

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I would talk to Ricbru. I was not getting responses from Napoli (NA) one of the more busy Communes and riccardo called them and got what I needed in 5 days. the best thing you can do at this point is have someone call since no one can go there for you. I dont know what Jennabet means by wines and olives. Did you send them some?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

No, I didn't have to send them anything. Italians drink new wine (made from the grape harvest in September) and they eat new Olives, which they start picking in October. Every Italian looks forward to this time of year, including the officials in the Comuni so I was just wishing him a "Good Autumn".
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:The two documents I absolutely needed, my grandfather's birth and marriage certificates, were obtained for me by a wondeful American woman living in Italy and pursuing her own jus sanguinis case. I met her on another board and reached out to her hoping that she might make a telephone call on my behalf. Instead, she drove to Roccasecca and waited while the stato civile official did his job.

Other than that, I have tried Express Mail, regular Air Mail, and e-mail to both the stato civile office and directly to the mayor, all without ever receiving a single response of any kind.
Ive tried and tried and tried and they are just being a total pain. But other towns Ive contacted have gotten back to me within 3 weeks. Some are so cooperative and some just ignore requests.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Ooohhhh lol . Yeah that makes more sense. anyone think it's possible they are bothered by so many people wanting to become Italian citizens? Like they are super far leaning right . I wonder if the caws will change and maybe they will take citizenship from people
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I guess its always possible for them to slam the door shut on citizenship if they ever choose to. Thats why I always encourage people that if they want to do it they better hurry and get an appointment. Who knows if this would ever happen but better to be safe than sorry.

Some dont answer because they are super busy, super lazy, they are provided wrong info so they have nothing to mail and some cant access the older records because they are in gross areas of the building that no one wants to go in, lol!!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Two thoughts -
I had to get records from Sessa Cilento - right next door. Totally wonderful experience. Sessa covers several frazione - is Stella itself a comune? If it's a frazione, perhaps you could write Sessa.
Also, when I needed to follow-up w/Sessa for additional documents, I sent them cash in euro. The turnaround was a week.
Have you tried the cash route?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Stella is a town with 3 frazione. Im actually trying to get documents for one of them but you have to go through Stella. I dont have euro, so I never thought to mail anything. Plus knowing they blatantly ignore me I figured why take the chance
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I agree. If they simply sent me a form letter or email which said "Please send money..." I would gladly comply.

In the case of Roccasecca, I know they have email - would it be so hard to take 60 seconds to acknowledge the fact that I even exist?

This has been going on since March, 2007...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Oh my goodness. Im complaining about almost a year wait and your going on 3 years!? Its insane. Like you said a quick email or acknowledgment would help. I guess its to much to ask :/
moulin

Post by moulin »

In my experience with Roccasecca I sent ten euros with my letter. The first time I received a reply and the photocopied documents I had requested within one month. The second time I received a reply, again within a month, telling me they did not have the requested information and returning my ten euros. I can't complain. I think sending money does help.
Good luck
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

What if I dont have euros on hand?What do I send?
moulin

Post by moulin »

If you can't get hold of any euros you could try dollars. I think the gesture is appreciated - I don't know what they do with the cash...
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

I sent Sessa the euros unsolicited. The point, as moulin points out, is the gesture. They probably have a stack of paperwork in the in-box at all times. The goal was to draw favorable attention to my request at the outset.
Anyway, Defilippis, you can get euros at any money exchange. If you don't have access to an exchange and want to try the euro route, send me a PM and I'll help you.
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cherry »

jennabet wrote:The Italian version of Registered mail is called "Recomendata".
Raccomandata. Better if "Raccomandata con ricevuta di ritorno" which means that if they receive what you have send them, they send you back a signed receipt.

Just a question: did you write in English or in Italian? If it's a small comune it may be that no-one there can speak English.

Cheers
Flo
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I wrote in Italian several times. Its a very tiny village with just over 300 families. I doubt they have stacks of paperwork. I just dont understand why my request is being ignored. I actually found on man on facebook with a stella page that Im going to ask if he can help