Last problem, what are your thoughts

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Last problem, what are your thoughts

Postby beauac » 28 Oct 2010, 13:00

So I now have almost everything I need, there is only one concern left. I have the actual death record of my great great grandfather but on it is listed an incorrect birthday year which is more than a few years off. I had plans to get a no records found in place of this but when I went into the NYC municipal archives they said they would have to mail it to me. Its been a week and I don't believe they are mailing it, at least not anytime soon, my appointment is NOV 8th. I live in CT, it should be here already. The thing is I still need to go to NYC and have my NY documents apostilled and notarized and I am waiting on this. Should I just have the actual death record done and present that? Since the birth year is so wrong and NYC Municipal archives does not amend I thought I might be getting out of a huge problem. What do you all think about this?

mler
Master
Master

Re: Last problem, what are your thoughts

Postby mler » 28 Oct 2010, 13:53

I don't think you need worry too much about this. All the other information on the death certificate identifies him as your gggf, and the death certificate is the least important of your documents. You may not get a no records document from NYC because they DID find the record. The date was either a transcription error or an error made by the person providing the information--the latter, a common occurence.

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 28 Oct 2010, 14:22

I see what you mean. When I got a no records found for my great grandfathers birth I just told them it was not found and they believed me and issued a no records found. This time they probably searched and found it. Hmm. So you dont think it could be a huge problem to present the death record with the wrong date? Once I present it theres no turning back and theres no way to amend it if they ask.

Another thing is on the death record it lists his wife as carmella, his second wife. Then they may ask for that marriage certificate and the divorce certificate of his first wife, where if I had a no records they would never find out about all that.

:?

Can I just go in with no record for death and no "no records found" also?

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 28 Oct 2010, 14:27

Did you say you are missing a birth certificate? Is it in the direct line?

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 28 Oct 2010, 14:42

Well there is no birth record for my great grandfather because a huge number of births in NYC at that time happened at home and were not recorded. So all I have is a no records found. Luckily I have every other document for him.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 28 Oct 2010, 15:42

Ciao Beauac,

I'd be more concerned with the lack of the birth cert than the death rec listed the birth year incorrectly. Have you considered finding a baptismal record?
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 28 Oct 2010, 15:45

No I did not think of that because I would have to guess which church in NYC. I can probably try the church where his parents married. Ill call them now. I did not think it would be a big deal because I have all of his other records.

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 28 Oct 2010, 15:50

I just called our lady of mt carmel church. The best they could do for me is have a meeting on monday where we could look for the baptism record. This church is where my gggf married in 1899 and his son was born in 1900 so what are the chances his son was baptised here? They continued to live in the neighborhood. Why would they baptise him in a different church? I wont find out until monday, damn. I never imagined this would be a problem.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 28 Oct 2010, 15:52

Well, you can always go in with what you have and if it is a big deal the worse that will happen is they will schedule you a second appt and ask you to get the extra record. The birth rec (or baptismal record) is important because it shows that your GGGF is your great grandfather's dad, and I suppose you are showing the citizenship passing from your GGGF, right?

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 28 Oct 2010, 16:00

Yeh but on the marriage and death it also lists his dad which is why I thought I was safe. Anyway Ill try to get that baptism but there is zero chance of getting a birth cert, because one never existed to begin with. Also like you said I will see what they say.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 28 Oct 2010, 16:21

Maybe the marriage and death certs will be enough. As long as you can prove who his dad was you should be in good shape.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Oct 2010, 18:06

Let us know what the consulate says about a DC if you decide not to provide one. I also have the wrong birth day on my G Grandfathers DC and I was going to just not bring it and see what they say.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 28 Oct 2010, 20:56

Yeah, my G Grandfather's death cert is a disaster. I could have it amended, in PA, I only need the person who originally filled out the form (my grandfather) to submit the corrections, but my grandfather holds that he filled everything out correctly - despite all the documentary evidence in the world. As he says, "you believe what you want, I'll believe what I want." Of course, I have proof that he is wrong, but sometimes that just doesn't matter to some people. :)

I'm planning on bringing it and not handing it over unless compelled to.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 28 Oct 2010, 23:18

yeah the elderly can be stubborn. My great aunt insist that the dates she gave me is correct. and of course the birth years are really baptismal dates. some people have these dates set in their mind for 80 years so its pretty hard wired in. have you tried asking your grandpa to correct the death certificate just for the sake of your citizenship?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 29 Oct 2010, 00:21

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:Yeah, my G Grandfather's death cert is a disaster. I could have it amended, in PA, I only need the person who originally filled out the form (my grandfather) to submit the corrections, but my grandfather holds that he filled everything out correctly - despite all the documentary evidence in the world. As he says, "you believe what you want, I'll believe what I want." Of course, I have proof that he is wrong, but sometimes that just doesn't matter to some people. :)

I'm planning on bringing it and not handing it over unless compelled to.

LOL! You gotta love when there is hard proof in front of them and they are still in denial. I cant have the original person amend mine because shes dead too. So Im hoping they dont ask. Its obvious he is dead or he would be about 140 or something! They are usually looking for proof that the original citizen is no longer alive.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”