Curious in America- My mothers great grandfather-any info?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennican

Curious in America- My mothers great grandfather-any info?

Postby jennican » 06 Nov 2010, 02:11

Lately, I have reviewed mothers history. Her great grandfather Anthony Giuliano was a widely known fruit dealer in our city of Indianapolis. According to a study by my second cousin, he came to America in 1884, born in Termini Imerese, Sicily. He was a sailor in Sicily for thirty years, before coming to U.S, belonged to the Sons of Italy, and the Humbert Society. Mother says that she believed Sons of Italy had to do with Mafia, I am so curious, where did he sail, what ship, did he have shipmates with families out here someplace? Is my Mothers wisdom and great brain due to some strong gene linked to this man? I am just plain curious. My son is named after Anthony's brother Mecurio. I found the newspaper clipping and decided onthat day he would be Mecurio when he came to this Earth. Gratzi to any info.

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Curious in America- My mothers great grandfather-any inf

Postby misbris » 07 Nov 2010, 02:38

Hi and welcome to the forum,

if your gggrandfather came in 1884, it was before Ellis Island opened. I checked Castle Garden records, but found no one in that year. Will check some other sites for you.

Here's some info on the Sons of Italy.

http://www.osia.org/about/who-we-are.php

jennican

Re: Curious in America- My mothers great grandfather-any inf

Postby jennican » 20 Nov 2010, 02:03

Hey I thank you for your help!:)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”