San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 23:06

San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby bene2950 » 07 Nov 2010, 16:15

Does anyone know the time frame for getting an appointment in SF? I sent an email request on 10-31 and have received no response as of yet. Thank you

User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 356
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 08 Nov 2010, 00:20

I live in the Philly consulate's jurisdiction so I don't have a time frame on San Fran for you, but out here it is a long wait. They actually are not even scheduling appts right now. But there is an Italian law that requires all Italian gov't bureaucrats to reply to a request for citizenship within 30 days, so you should hear something in the next couple weeks.

If I were you, I'd call tomorrow and send an email if you can't get anyone on the phone.

Good Luck!!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

User avatar
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 23:06

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby bene2950 » 08 Nov 2010, 00:35

Thanks for the reply. My son is emailing Chicago this week for his appointment date. If he gets his appointment first and his documents are accepted, how will that affect my appointment.

User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby sceaminmonkey » 08 Nov 2010, 02:21

bene2950 wrote:Thanks for the reply. My son is emailing Chicago this week for his appointment date. If he gets his appointment first and his documents are accepted, how will that affect my appointment.


it wont. depending on if they want to or not, they might just take his paper work or they might say you must apply first. which is usually the case although, there is no italian law that requires parents to apply first!

User avatar
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 23:06

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby bene2950 » 08 Nov 2010, 02:51

So if he tells them that I am applying for citizenship also they might make him wait till I complete mine. Would it be better if he did not tell them I was applying? It seems strange since they would not let us go together in the first place. My other son is applying with me in SF as he lives in Seattle.

Another question is if I get my citizenship first, would it be easier for my son's to get their citizenship? I am new to all this. I have been obtaining documents for almost two years. I should be able to apply on either my father's or mother's side since both are of Italian descent.

User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby sceaminmonkey » 08 Nov 2010, 02:58

from what I have read over the past year on different forums, the thing is is that they will ask for your birth certificate at the time of his appointment. and then if you are deceased which you obviously are not, they will ask for a death certificate. by default consulates seem to require the parent if still living to apply prior to or with the applicant. I have heard of a couple of consulates actually contacting each other waiting for the applicants parents to be approved. so the answer is yes and no. if you are approved then he only needs to provide documentation proving he is linked to you. so it will be easier for him. you will still need to provide your documentation. As I said before though, there is no law saying the parent must apply first.

User avatar
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 23:06

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby bene2950 » 08 Nov 2010, 03:10

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will hear when my appointment is shortly.

User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby DeFilippis78 » 08 Nov 2010, 03:32

bene2950 wrote:So if he tells them that I am applying for citizenship also they might make him wait till I complete mine. Would it be better if he did not tell them I was applying? It seems strange since they would not let us go together in the first place. My other son is applying with me in SF as he lives in Seattle.

Another question is if I get my citizenship first, would it be easier for my son's to get their citizenship? I am new to all this. I have been obtaining documents for almost two years. I should be able to apply on either my father's or mother's side since both are of Italian descent.


I believe it would be easier if you were accepted first. Then your sons would just be applying under you by showing a birth certificate and wouldnt have to file all the paperwork separately. You essentially do all the work and they just go under you

User avatar
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 23:06

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby bene2950 » 08 Nov 2010, 03:54

I will let them know. thank you for all the information.

User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 356
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 08 Nov 2010, 13:52

I have to disagree, but perhaps the other responders know more than I do, but a parent does not have to apply for a child to also apply. The consulate might require a document signed by the parent testifying that they have never renounced Italian Citizenship (the same would be true of any grandparents that are still living) but there is nothing in the Jure Sanguinis law that requires the preceding, still living generations to become citizens before the next generation can.

As for your son not being able to apply with you, an applicant must apply in the consulate whose jurisdiction they live under. If your son lives in the Chicago district, then he has to apply there.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

User avatar
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 23:06

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby bene2950 » 08 Nov 2010, 14:10

Thank you, I have two complete sets of documents so if he wants to apply he can.

User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby DeFilippis78 » 08 Nov 2010, 15:47

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:I have to disagree, but perhaps the other responders know more than I do, but a parent does not have to apply for a child to also apply. The consulate might require a document signed by the parent testifying that they have never renounced Italian Citizenship (the same would be true of any grandparents that are still living) but there is nothing in the Jure Sanguinis law that requires the preceding, still living generations to become citizens before the next generation can.

As for your son not being able to apply with you, an applicant must apply in the consulate whose jurisdiction they live under. If your son lives in the Chicago district, then he has to apply there.


Its true, a parent doesnt have to apply. Im doing it without my parents. But if a parent and child WANT to do it together its supposedly easier for the parent to go first

User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 356
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 08 Nov 2010, 18:28

[/quote]

Its true, a parent doesnt have to apply. Im doing it without my parents. But if a parent and child WANT to do it together its supposedly easier for the parent to go first[/quote]

It would certainly take less paperwork, but if they already have all the documents it should work either way. I definitely would recommend against passing up an appt to wait on a parent applying in a different consulate. Besides, it might prove easier for the parent if the child goes first, then you can simply tell San Fran that your child is an Italian Citizen via Jure Sanguinis and they claimed through you - proving you are in fact an Italian citizen prior to your appt.

In the end, either way gets you where you need to go.

Good luck to you and your kids :D

User avatar
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 23:06

Re: San Francisco Appointment Time Frame

Postby bene2950 » 08 Nov 2010, 19:26

Thank you for the response. It is nice to get advice from people who are going through the same process or have already been through the process.


Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests