Story of my NYC appointment today

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Story of my NYC appointment today

Postby beauac » 08 Nov 2010, 19:05

I promised I would write about my meeting and here it is.

I arrived at the place at 9 o clock or shortly after. I was brought past security and then told to go to the 2nd floor waiting room. My appointment was scheduled for 11 yet suprisingly after sitting down for two to three minutes I was called in and sat before a nice looking woman. We got right down to business and the man who ushered me in sat beside her. They started out by taking my passport and having me fill out a form. After that it was all focused on the documents starting with my ancestor from Italy. First his birth certificate. No problem. The guy seemed impressed I had the certificate of Italian citizenship for my ancestor. Sad to say it was really downhill from here. Next came for the marriage of my Italian ancestor. It was something that they gave me from Our lady of Mt Carmel church. It had been notarized and apostilled and everything. But they outright rejected it. I told them that I couldnt find the long form version from the municipal archives. They told me I had better find it. Next it was the naturalization. Whoops, they found out here that his wife is listed as carmella, his 2nd wife. It slipped my mind that they would see this. So I was told to get the divorce and 2nd marriage docs. I actually had them with me without an apostille. They looked at them and just said to get them apostilled. Whatever not so bad. Next I showed them a no records found in place of a death certificate. They were not happy and demanded to see a death certificate. I explained the original death certificate was so full of errors I was not even sure myself if it was for my ancestor. They wanted it. Next was great grandfather. Same story. A no records found for birth and a baptism certificate from the church with apostille. The guy looks at these like it is a document from mars. Again he tells me to get the real birth certificate. If it existed I would have brought it but they did not have sympathetic ears I can tell you. They really are not hot on "no records found" certificates and things from churches I can tell you. Next it was all through the documents until the very last one. They showed very little mercy. They called me on every discrepancy including anthony spelled as antony. The whole time I was writing down every thing that they said they wanted changed. Finally the lady said there is no need to write it they will give me a big list of things to change. Later she did and it included much less than I wrote down. I dont know what to make of that. If they were just trying to be scary or if I should fix everything I can or fix only whats on the printout they gave me. We were winding down at this point and it pretty much just came to an unclimatic ending. I was expecting them to tell me to come back in 90 days but they did not. They told me to make a new appointment through the phone system. When I protested and said I could make all the changes in less than 90 days and would prefer an appointment now he brushed me off. He said I came missing too many documents or something like that. Some bs. I spent the last 30 days working my ass off and they kind of tell me I should have come with something better. So at this point I was just packing up and getting ready to leave. I figure that it did not go well but since they told me to fix everything and come back they must know that I am eligible and stand a chance. It seems like they are getting stricter or something unless I was singled out for poor treatment. My advice to anyone applying is to fix the discrepancies before hand. The seem annoyed about it and remember they called me on anthony/antony. Lastly they seem to not be feeling any no records found certificates either. I hope this helps someone. I am still kind of out of it from the stressful experience so sorry for any spelling errors or poor grammar. I may have forgotten some things and I am sure that I will have plenty of things to ask in the future such as how in gods name do I amend all this stuff!

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Story of my NYC appointment today

Postby DeFilippis78 » 08 Nov 2010, 19:25

Well, I guess the good news is that ultimately they told you what you needed to fix and its less then what you thought. So maybe they are letting some things slide. I would never think they would be a stickler over anthony to antony. I have some discrepancies and thought it wouldnt be a problem, but I guess not.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 08 Nov 2010, 21:26

They probably were annoyed about missing documents and/or discrepancies so they started to pick on everything. Your advice is good. The "cleaner" the application, the less likelihood of being bombarded as you were.

Maybe it's for the best that you reschedule through the usual method. This will give you time to get everything you need and also put some distance between this interview and the next one. Who knows--maybe the next time you go in, there will be new people reviewing documents.

You know you qualify, so don't give up. It may take a while longer, but it WILL happen.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 08 Nov 2010, 22:01

Definitely don't give up. I'm surprised they were so down on Church records. My GGF used his baptismal name as his middle name here in the States and I am hoping a baptismal record will help me make my case, but maybe not from what you experienced. Sorry for the rough time, but I remember reading somewhere on these boards that most people need at least 2 appointments before they get the final nod of approval. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll have better news to report soon.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 08 Nov 2010, 22:41

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. If anything this appointment was good because now I know I am definately eligible (they wouldn't make me get more documents and tell me to come back if I wasn't right??) and secondly I now know exactly what they want to see with regard to my documents. I am going to fix everything , go back and get my citizenship. I am too far into this to quit now.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 09 Nov 2010, 02:22

Is it Italian divorce documents you need? My GGF was also married before and his first wife is listed on this BC. I know this is going to be an issue. I have to somehow prove she died or they divorced but it would have been in Italy and I dont know how to go about it. This particular comune isnt on micro film either. I requested a DC a while ago but never heard back.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 09 Nov 2010, 05:02

I am sorry they were sticklers. I am still waiting on amended documents. I have my moms appointment on the 26th. I feel bad . on the bright side you got an appointment supper early so you were lucky and its as if you got a freebie. dont worry head up it will happen!

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 09 Nov 2010, 14:10

I just called for a new appointment. July 29th 2011. I am leaving for Germany soon and wont be back until late december. I guess I wont work on anything until the begining of the new year so it may actually take me all that time to finish. I guess there are worse things. The guy told me he would look out for any cancellations around feb-apr for me, I dont know if he will though. I seem to remember now the consulate told me to email them when I finish my work to schedule a new appointment. Do you think that would get me a sooner appoitnment or was it just bs?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 09 Nov 2010, 14:21

Its best you take a break and walk away from it for a little bit. I know I have to. If I dont Ill throw my hands up and quit. I definitely need little breaks away from it all here and there.

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JavaisLife » 09 Nov 2010, 14:29

Hi Beauac,

Have a great time in Germany! You can start the correction process now, and by the time you return you'll either have your documents corrected and mailed back. ... or, be able to press hard on the CT Vital Records office, to speed up your document correction process - for they would have had your documents in their possession for all that time.

I want to make one note - I know your appointment yesterday did not go as you would have liked, however reading your word choices, "I don't know if he will though" and "was it just bs" try to snap out of the victim and doubter mind set. Thinking along those lines will only make the process more difficult for you. ... especially, if you find yourself in a situation in the future where you need to ask for someone's assistance. You do not want your subconscious mind programmed into thinking that all the authority figures are against you.

"The guy told me he would look out for any cancellations around feb-apr for me, I dont know if he will though."

"Do you think that would get me a sooner appoitnment or was it just bs?"

*** I'd call back on your return and see if there were cancellations. I have read on the board that people have had their appointments moved up. It can happen, but you will most likely have to call them again. You can call them once a month if you'd like :)

Also, it's worth trying e-mailing the consulate. I wouldn't worry myself about it until I had ALL of my documents found and corrected. As you can imagine, the NYC consulate will be real asses if you e-mail them to schedule an appointment early, and still have errors.

Good luck!!!!
M

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 09 Nov 2010, 14:48

Echoing JavaIsLife on the well wishes for your trip to Germany! I was actually just in Berlin last week, and I had a marvelous time. There's nothing like a change of scenery to make you feel better -- I'm sure you'll be able to sort out all these discrepancies much more easily than you imagine.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 09 Nov 2010, 15:58

Yeah, keep your head up. Just think of it this way, you'll have your second appt before I even have my first - so you got a freebie to see exactly what you need to fix, no need to guess anymore. And remember, assuming you qualify, you have a RIGHT under the Italian Constitution to citizenship, no bureaucrat can ultimately deny you this RIGHT. As long as you can prove your case, you will in the end be approved. Have fun in Europe, and if you get a chance maybe shoot down to old Italia for a day trip, I know that always revitalizes my soul. Ciao.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Donald66 » 10 Nov 2010, 01:49

beauac wrote:I just called for a new appointment. July 29th 2011. I am leaving for Germany soon and wont be back until late december. I guess I wont work on anything until the begining of the new year so it may actually take me all that time to finish. I guess there are worse things. The guy told me he would look out for any cancellations around feb-apr for me, I dont know if he will though. I seem to remember now the consulate told me to email them when I finish my work to schedule a new appointment. Do you think that would get me a sooner appoitnment or was it just bs?

Definitely e-mail for a 2nd appointment. We had our 1st appointment in July and 2nd appointment in October. Use the e-mail address they gave you, it worked for us!

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 10 Nov 2010, 12:07

They did not give me an email address. The asked me to write down my email address on the top of the form they made me fill out at the start. I think they meant I should email the general consulate email which is why I thought it was nothing special. People have said that nobody ever answers those emails mailed to that address. :?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”