Got my Great Grandpas birth certificate from Catania!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Got my Great Grandpas birth certificate from Catania!!

Postby JPMessina44 » 08 Nov 2010, 23:57

I am amazed, its like XMAS for me! I went to my mailbox, cause I was expecting my grandfathers naturalization documents from the Bronx...nothing was there.

As I flipped thru my normal bills or junkmail cause I get nothing other than those two things, back of the pile was a letter on Sant'Antonia, Catania letterhead. I began to sweat, thinking okay they will prob be asking for money OR a no records found cause my family always said he was an orphan....

I look inside and its his certified, hand written birth certificate! That was my last piece needed which I was petrified over...nonetheless, my grandparents marriage will be coming back soon from MA apostilled and all my other documents need apostille which I will walk around the city next week, then bang I am done.

Started the application and document gathering process on October 15th!! :) im very excited

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Got my Great Grandpas birth certificate from Catania!!

Postby DeFilippis78 » 09 Nov 2010, 02:23

Go Messina! I know you were waiting for that. Its great news :)

Alicia

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 09 Nov 2010, 02:50

Thanks DeFilippis!! I'm very excited, was really worried about it but I have to say, Catania and Siracusa were fantastic and extremely fast with their response time....

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 09 Nov 2010, 02:52

How exactly are you contacting them? Was it mail or email or phone?

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 09 Nov 2010, 03:30

believe it or not- siracusa emailed me back and forth twice, and then just randomly sent it back to me via my letter.

Catania got my mail and sent it back to me via regular mail with my self addressed envelope.

Both mailed me the birth records

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 09 Nov 2010, 03:35

Thats great luck. Im having a hit or miss situation. One comune wont answer me, a few others have answered me int the past, but now they ignore me! I dont get it!

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 10 Nov 2010, 21:51

They are doing a wonderful job in Calabria! I too had timely communication from the Comune di Platania Provincia di Catanzaro and received the birth certificate within six weeks.

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 10 Nov 2010, 23:26

Congratulations! :)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 11 Nov 2010, 11:33

Great news. You're on your way.

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 11 Nov 2010, 14:14

I hope so! Got my naturalization documents for my ggrandfather yesterday, so thats clear. I am shipping my greatgrandparents MA marriage certificate out to the Sec of State for Apostille.

I'm waiting on my grandmothers (non direct line) birth certificate.

My mother and fathers (direct) birth are coming in today or tomorrow. Vitalchek shows that this has been shipped out. (Ill hand walk for apostille and notarization from Court)

My grandfathers birth should be here any day now (I had to get the death first to prove relation.)

Other than that, Im 5 min from Manhattan so I'll walk all documents personally to ensure they get completed.

I have a buddy and I doing translations ourselves, so no worries there.

:) January 31, 2011 here I come!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”