death certificate for Francis Vartuli

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
desonia69

death certificate for Francis Vartuli

Postby desonia69 » 10 Nov 2010, 16:11

Thanks for everyone's help with Francis Vartuli's information. This forum found out more about him in those few hours than I did in several months. Now I have the Italian records of Francis (even his parents) and the rest of the ascedants, except for Francis Vartuli's death certificate.

Born: Francesco Antonio Vartuli, 29 November 1897, Arena, Italy
other names/births: Frank/Francis/Frances Cimento Vartula; 30 November 1897
father: Michele/Michael Vartuli/Vartula
mother: Maria Giovanna/Jennie/Jenie De Paola/De Paul
buried: 23 November 1927, St. Stephen's Cemetary, Winooski, VT with Michael C. Vartuli, Giovanna C. Vartuli, Maria C. Vartuli, Ciovanni C. Vartuli, and Flutrossa C. Vartuli
married: Pauline St. Germaine, 14 July 1918, Colchester, VT
Irene Marie Ham(e)lin, 28 February 1923, Winooksi, VT
children: Jennie (8 October 1922-9 October 1990), Dominic (10 January 1926-March 1987), Francis (11 May 1928-4 December 2007), and Michael Vincent (16 December 1921, Burlington, VT - 22 June 2000, Hampton, VA).

I sent a fax to the cemetary, but the church did not respond to my request for the funeral home's contact data. I sent an email to the state of VT; it had no record of his death in Colchester County, VT - where Winooski is located. I found nothing on a Social Security Death Index Search.

Please help me find a death certifcate. Thanks again.

P.S. What is with the "C" as the middle initial on the Vartuli grave? Is it for "Cimento"? "Cimento" is not listed on his Italian birth record. Is having the same middle name an Italian tradition?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: death certificate for Francis Vartuli

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Nov 2010, 20:29

The Social Security system did not come into being until well past your ancestor's death so it is no surprise that you could not find him in the SSDI. Also, for future reference, the electronic SSDI only has records for persons who died after 1965'ish. For earlier records, you have to contact the Social Security Administration directly.

Which Vermont agency did you contact? This one? http://vermont-archives.org/research/genealogy/vitals/

You may also want to try contacting the town clerk directly:

Winooski, City of (Chittenden County)
Carol J. Barrett, Clerk-Treasurer
27 West Allen Street
Winooski, VT 05404
TEL: 655-6419 Ext. 18 FAX: 655-6414
cjbarrett@onioncity.com
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

desonia69

Postby desonia69 » 13 Nov 2010, 14:12

Yes, I contacted VSARA (the state agency) and the town clerk of Colchester. I don't remember why I emailed Colchester, not Winooski. But the clerk from Colchester said the town had records of Francis's parents death, not Francis's record.

I'll email Winooski and start contacting funeral homes near the burial site.

Thanks.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Nov 2010, 14:34

You might also try to determine where the nearest hospital was at the time in question (perhaps the Winooski town clerk may be able to provide that info). If your ancestor died in a hospital, the death certificate will have been entered into the records of whatever town/city the hospital was located in.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 13 Nov 2010, 15:40

Closest hospital to Winooski is in Burlington, VT.

More than likely it is Fletcher Allen, which before 1971 was named the Mary Fletcher Hospital.

http://www.fletcherallen.org/about/welcome/our_history/

Distance from Winooski to the hospital is less than 1.5 miles...

T.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”