Do certificates of naturalization contain photos??

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Do certificates of naturalization contain photos??

Postby beauac » 11 Nov 2010, 05:48

So I have been dying to see a photo of my great great grandfather. It is kind of frustrating to find out so much about a man and his life and not even know what he looks like. The good news is for the first time tonight I saw pictures of his son, my great grandfather. The relative who had the pictures and was showing them to me had a real certificate of naturalization from a long time ago for her mother and I noticed it contained a photo. If I were to request a copy of my gggfs naturalization certificate would it come with a copy of his photo as well? Thats really my last hope to see him. Thanks.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Do certificates of naturalization contain photos??

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Nov 2010, 06:02

beauac wrote:If I were to request a copy of my gggfs naturalization certificate would it come with a copy of his photo as well? Thats really my last hope to see him. Thanks.

That's a lot of g's in gggfs. What year are we talking about?

Yes, at some point both the Declaration of Intention and the Certificate of Naturalization began to include photos. My paternal grandfather's (Declaration 1932, Certificate 1935) and maternal grandfather's (1938, 1944) documents include photos.

I used to know when the photos first began appearing but seem to have forgotton that detail.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 11 Nov 2010, 11:24

The naturalization records I have from the late 1890s and early 1900s do not have photos. Those were from Brooklyn (Eastern District of NY). The ones I have from Bronx County NY Supreme Court for the 1920s do not have photos. The ones I have from the Southern District of NY for the 1930s do have photos, but only on the Declaration of Intention.

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 11 Nov 2010, 12:38

He became a naturalized citizen in 1930. I think he applied in 1924. So what do you think, will it come with his photo? I have his declarations and there are no photos there. Also he would be from the southern district I think, Manhattan.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 11 Nov 2010, 12:48

My grandfather received his naturalization certificate in 1924. I believe photos appeared starting in 1925.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 11 Nov 2010, 13:09

I have been searching for documentation concerning when photos started appearing on naturalization records, and I can't find any information about that.

Peg

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Nov 2010, 13:14

It's going to be very edgy. I just looked at many documents on line and found that Declarations in New York's Southern District in the mid-1920's all seem to be without photos. The only other place a photo might appear is on the actual Certificate of Naturalization.

Certificate's are available only directly from USCIS; the National Archives and state/local archives do not have copies. My personal experience with naturalization documents obtained from USCIS (any documents - Declarations, Petitions, Certificates...) is that they generally range from very bad to totally illegible. When ordering from USCIS, be sure to check the little box which says you want "electronic copies" (or whatever they are calling it right now). They will send you the images burned onto a CD; you will find that simply printing them on a color printer will produce much better results than the monochrome laser printers used by USCIS. If you use image editing software to tweak the image brightness and contrast, you can improve the output even further.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Nov 2010, 13:35

maestra36 wrote:I have been searching for documentation concerning when photos started appearing on naturalization records, and I can't find any information about that.

Peg

I just scanned through a larger number of Southern District New York documents at Ancestry . com and found that photos began to appear on Declarations right on the cusp of the 1930 decade. Declarations from 1928-29 are without photos; others from 1931 are with.

This begs the question: since a photo would not have been required when the Declaration was filed in 1924 but possibly was required by 1930... did Beau's gggf have to supply a photo at the end of the process to appear on his certificate?
Carmine

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 11 Nov 2010, 13:45

my GGF feb 1927. NO PHOTO. Was all done in Manhattan.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 11 Nov 2010, 13:51

I found the following info concerning photos, but this is from the Brooklyn (Kings County) Clerks office, so I don't know if the information only applies to naturalization records from that office:

under the question concerning information on the Certificate of Naturalization-

"A photo was included beginning in 1929."

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 11 Nov 2010, 14:13

I guess there is only one thing to do and that is for me to request the certificate and hope for the best. I think I will faint when I see him.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 11 Nov 2010, 14:18

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nynew ... alization/

The above is a link about naturalization records in Manhattan-

photographs after 1929 from the description below:

Certificates of naturalization usually contain: name, address, date of document, place of birth, date of birth or age, nationality, country of emigration, marital status, name and age of spouse, address of spouse, name(s) and age(s) of children, personal description, signature, photograph (after 1929).

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 11 Nov 2010, 14:23

I may get lucky then. But the question is would they have taken the photo in 1924 when he applied or in 1930 when he was approved and issued the certificate?

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 11 Nov 2010, 19:48

I can't find anything specific to answer your question. Hopefully you will get lucky and get a photo with the record. For the ones I have with photos, the earliest the process was started was 1932.
Peg

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 11 Nov 2010, 22:16

I will find out in 90 days once I order it.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”