Missing Birth Certificate within Direct Line

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sflorini

Missing Birth Certificate within Direct Line

Postby sflorini » 16 Nov 2010, 00:41

Hi, folks.

I am applying for dual citizenship based on GGF- GF - F - me. (Actually, my father and I are applying together.) But my grandfather's birth certificate is missing!!! To bullet point the situation:

- my great grandparents immigrated in 1911
- my grandfather was born in 1914 in Illinois
- Illinois did not have a birth certificate law until 1916. Before that families had to voluntarily submit records of births.
- I called the county records office where my grandfather was born, they checked, and there is not record of a birth certificate.
- I do have: grandfather's death certificate with names of his parents, my grandparents wedding announcement from the paper with my great grandparents' names, and my grandfather's military records (which don't seem relevant).

Is there anything I can do about this? Obviously, my grandfather is the link between my father and I and the Italian citizen (great grandfather). Is there any way the consulate (we're in Detroit's jurisdiction) would accept a combination of other documents to prove my grandfather's paternity? Or are we just out of luck?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Missing Birth Certificate within Direct Line

Postby sceaminmonkey » 16 Nov 2010, 00:53

I would say get a letter stating they did not start the law untill 1916. then find a baptismal record. you know where he lived? even better the church he attended?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Nov 2010, 00:54

Most states have a procedure for creating a "delayed" birth record. I suggest you contact Illinois Vital Records again and inquire about this. You may ultimately need to get a court order to force the creation of a record.

See http://www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/contact.htm for contact info.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 16 Nov 2010, 01:00

At some point in time a birth record would have or should have been created...what documents were presented to Social Security?

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Nov 2010, 03:02

sceaminmonkey wrote:I would say get a letter stating they did not start the law untill 1916. then find a baptismal record. you know where he lived? even better the church he attended?

This is one of those things that seems like a perfectly reasonable solution to the problem but all the evidence suggests that it simply doesn't work in real life; we have had several reports of consulates flat out refusing to consider church records of any kind.

However, that same baptismal record (if one can be found) might be used to convince the Illinois registrar to create a delayed birth certificate. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 16 Nov 2010, 03:10

that sucks arbtran which is the NYC consulate appointment and information service is the one who suggested that as a solution when I thought I could not locate my GGF birth record. I have had much success though amending records with church records. I do Agree with carmine that is excellent supporting evidence for you to get a record created.

Good luck sflorini! keep us posted!

sflorini

Postby sflorini » 16 Nov 2010, 03:23

Wow! You guys are awesome. I had no idea that you could have a birth certificate created. I would have figured he would have had to have one for his military service. But, he was born at home in a tiny, tiny town. And the records clerk swears there isn't one. I'm sure his death certificate and military records should be enough to get Illinois to issue a birth certificate (both have his date and county of birth).

Thank you so much for your helpful and speedy responses. I'm just at the beginning of collecting my documents (this was one of the first I tried to get because he's in the direct line). And I was worried that this meant I was finished before I barely got started.

Thanks again!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”