Question on Court Name Change

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Question on Court Name Change

Postby bene2950 » 16 Nov 2010, 03:21

Once a court name change is completed. Can a certified copy be used showing the birth certificate name was wrong. The reason I am asking is because it takes 7 months to get an amended birth certificate and it would be easier to use the court name change document.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question on Court Name Change

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Nov 2010, 03:47

My guess would be that the consulate will accept the court order as preliminary evidence but will ultimately want the corrected birth certificate.

Who's birth certificate are we talking about? The applicant's, or someone further back in the lineage?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bene2950 » 16 Nov 2010, 03:57

The birth certificate would be of my father. I would be the applicant. I will get the court order on Dec 13. I will file for an amended birth certificate at that time. In California it is a minimum of 7 months for an amended birth certificate. I applied for an appointment in SF but have not received a date yet. I was hoping the court order would suffice. Thanks

gottogetit
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gottogetit » 16 Nov 2010, 04:25

I am in the same position. might have to amend my fathers birth cert. in Illinois they draw a line through the name on the BC and above or to the side they enter the amended part. hopefully they will except it that way...

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Nov 2010, 04:30

gottogetit wrote:I am in the same position. might have to amend my fathers birth cert. in Illinois they draw a line through the name on the BC and above or to the side they enter the amended part. hopefully they will except it that way...

They will. They will accept without question any verifiably official government-issued document.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

gottogetit
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gottogetit » 16 Nov 2010, 04:34

Thats good to here Carmine...father has been going by michael his whole life. on marriage,SS card drivers Lic. WWII discharge papers. but Michael does not appear on the Birth Cert. How could this happen...lol

bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bene2950 » 16 Nov 2010, 15:02

In California they have attachments to the original document. They do not change the original. Mine will have two attachments on the birth certificate, one for incorrect spelling and one for the name change. I was wondering if I had the court document apostille'd would the consulate accept that until an amended birth certificate is obtained.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”