Italian co-worker

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Italian co-worker

Postby Donald66 » 16 Nov 2010, 20:47

I just discovered a co-worker's parents were born in Naples & moved to the Waterbury, CT area in the early fifties.

The co-worker's father became a US Citizen, but his mother is still an Italian Citizen and she even has a current Italian passport!

Can she just send a copy of her passport to the Italian Consulate in NYC along with a copy of her son's birth certificate and have him registered as an Italian Citizen??

BTW - The co-worker is 55 yrs old and has 2 teenage children of his own.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Italian co-worker

Postby sceaminmonkey » 16 Nov 2010, 20:53

Your co worker can get citizenship but, they need all the same paper work any case would. Their mothers Italian birth certificate her marriage record etc all us docs which would be marriage need to be translated and apostilled

Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Donald66 » 16 Nov 2010, 21:02

sceaminmonkey wrote:Your co worker can get citizenship but, they need all the same paper work any case would. Their mothers Italian birth certificate her marriage record etc all us docs which would be marriage need to be translated and apostilled

No shortcut :evil:

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 16 Nov 2010, 21:18

:lol: no , no shortcut since your co worker is well in to adulthood. they will have to book an appointment to. But see what other members have to say.

Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rodio » 16 Nov 2010, 22:17

Donald

Posters on other Italian citizenship forums have reported that a few consulates including NYC in the past have allowed parents to register their adult children. If your co-worker's mother lives in the NYC consular jurisdiction, she may try to go to the consulate and register him with his BC, of course translated & apostilled. The worst that could happen is to be told to make a formal application, but perhaps your friend might be fortunate.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 16 Nov 2010, 22:22

and from what I have read that would only apply if the parent was applying for citizenship as well. this would reduce the need for two appointments and make everyones life easier. since she is a citizen and the child is now 55 I would book an appointment A.S.A.P and then check and see if the mother can do it.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Nov 2010, 23:42

This is an interesting case. On the one hand, I might say, sure, mom can just register her son's birth 55 years after the fact as I registered my adult son's birth about a year after my own citizenship was recognized.

On the other hand, to say that this is possible in a case with these particulars would be to say that no potential jus sanguinis applicant with at least one living Italian parent has to do anything other than a simple birth registration.

Hmmm... Sounds unlikely to me.

Of course, the 55 year-old co-worker has such an easy path as to be the envy of every jus sanguinis applicant. With little more than his mother's presence (with her Passaporto Italiana in hand) and his own birth certificate, it's practically a done deal.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 16 Nov 2010, 23:53

on this and another italian genealogy forum It was posted that the NYC consulate had changed the policy on registering adults. I will find it and post the link. I hope your co worker can just walk in with their mother and register it.

mike123
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mike123 » 17 Nov 2010, 00:12

in case you cant register adults my mother and I have our appointment a couple weeks apart. Do I need duplicates of all the documents? because I cant really afford them :lol:

uwlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Postby uwlaw » 24 Nov 2010, 20:10

Mike,

You should not require duplicate documents -- particularly since you are applying through the same consulate. I would, of course, flag this issue to the consulate officer during the first of the two meetings (which it sound like you are already planning to do).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”