Translating "No records of naturalization" letters

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Translating "No records of naturalization" letters

Postby Drew927 » 19 Nov 2010, 19:12

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I want to check with others about translating the letters I've recieved from the county clerks offices.

Has anyone been asked by the consulate to provide such translations? I know that the Apostille, USCIS and NARA letters do not need translations.

Drew

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Translating "No records of naturalization" let

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Nov 2010, 19:26

You should not need to provide translations of any document other than the following:

a) the applicant's own birth and marriage (if applicable) certificates
b) the birth certificate of the applicant's spouse, if applicable
c) the birth certificates of the applicant's children if applicable
d) the applicant's previous divorce decrees, if applicable

Some of the paid "Help" lines used by the consulates say that everything must be translated but this is simply not true.

* The only exception to the above would be for documents which originated outside the US or Italy and thus are in a language other than English or Italian.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 19 Nov 2010, 20:03

Thanks Carmine

musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Postby musaccosteve » 02 Feb 2011, 01:59

Carmine,

I just now read your posting here. I think I may be missing something here. I am applying for citizenship via my GF. Don't I need to have his death certificate, my father's birth and death certificate, my parent's marriage certificate, and my mother's birth certificate translated? These are documents required by the L.A. Consulate as well as my birth certificate.

Thank you,

Steve

johnnyonthespot wrote:You should not need to provide translations of any document other than the following:

a) the applicant's own birth and marriage (if applicable) certificates
b) the birth certificate of the applicant's spouse, if applicable
c) the birth certificates of the applicant's children if applicable
d) the applicant's previous divorce decrees, if applicable

Some of the paid "Help" lines used by the consulates say that everything must be translated but this is simply not true.

* The only exception to the above would be for documents which originated outside the US or Italy and thus are in a language other than English or Italian.

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 02 Feb 2011, 04:19

Steve,
I did have all my vital records translated as well as my letters of No Records Found. Carmine is most likely correct but the rules have been changing and I don't want to show up and not have them if asked. It cost me an extra $175.00 to have all my papers translated. I thought of it as worth the extra step.
Drew

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 02 Feb 2011, 06:35

For Carmine. The application has two options -- Married, Yes, No or Divorced? My fiancee is a Widower so he's not married. But he was going to submit his marriage certificate and his wife's death certificate just to show the parental connection to his adult children, should they decide to apply on their own after he's recognized. He doesn't plan to show his deceased wife's birth certificate.

Should he show his marriage certificate and his wife's death certificate and should they be translated?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”