Grazie, people who seem to care

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jbosko

Grazie, people who seem to care

Postby jbosko » 23 Nov 2010, 16:27

Boun Giorno a Tutti,

I am glad there is a whole site dedicated to Italian genealogy and forums for all of us who have questions. I have been gathering documents for my dual citizenship and have came across many unanswered questions and hope some of you can help.

Here are some of the questions which would be much appreciated if answered.

1. I plan on going through the San Francisco consulate and was wondering if anyone has used them and how strict they are on all documents. I have detailed and stated all name discrepancies from my great grandfather Antonio De Petrillo which was never legally changed but he later went by Tony Petrella. My grandfather was then born James Petrella. I have amended the death certificate of my GGF but am using a sworn affidavit signed by my grandfather stating all the discrepancies are his father.

2.I am requesting the USCIS naturalization records to prove that my GGF was never naturalized. There is still a month wait on those. I am confused however on what the consulate actually needs. Some people say the uscis is not needed but just go straight to the nara archives. Are there two nara archives I need the statement NO Records from, the Regional branch and national level or just one?

3. I spoke with the gallucio commune in Italy and am having them send me a certfied copy stating that he birth certificate of my GGF was destroyed in ww2. I did a search in the church records but am coming up short on that as well. I have plenty of documents linking me to my GFF and how he was from Italy, marriage certificate in italy etc, but will I be able to use these or does no birth certif = no citizenship?

4. Is there a way to expedite the process or even just bypass the consulate and go straight to italy myself and bring all documents to the local commune to view and sign off on. I have lived in Italy before and it is not a problem for me to go to the commune, but is it possible to bypass and request the citizenship directly from the commune or is the consulate needed?

Any help would be appreciated because now with LA consulate you must pay a third party consultant 2$ a minute to ask question about anything.

Mille Grazie,
Jarett Boskovich

ancestor Antonio De Petrillo Sippicciano, Gallucio, Caserta Italy

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Grazie, people who seem to care

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Nov 2010, 18:07

Hi, Jarrett. I will try to address some of your questions, in no particular order:

Do you know for a fact that your GGF did not naturalize? Or, are you just presuming that to be the case? (I can't tell you how many researchers start out believing their ancestor did not naturalize only to learn otherwise - myself included) Have you located a passenger manifest for your GGF? Can you tell us when he arrived in the US and also his date (or year) of birth?

If it turns out that your GGF did naturalize, there is a chance that the naturalization documents will tie together the original surname spelling and the new spelling. Let us hope so because, frankly, without something which ties those two names together, you are going to have a very difficult time with the consulate. It does not help at all that both names exist in modern Italy. ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... a&dv=&l=en )

If your GGF really did not naturalize, you will need multiple proofs of this fact. At the least, you will need "No Records Found" letters from USCIS, NARA, and the State and County courts for each district in which your GGF ever resided. USCIS is not sufficient because, for one thing, they have no naturalization records dating prior to September 27, 1906. NARA is not sufficient becuase for most of the US, they hold records only for persons who naturalized in the federal court system. State/County letters are not sufficient for the opposite reason - they do not reflect what took place in federal courts. In addition, most consulates require at least one certified copy of a US census taken after the birth of (in this case) your GF which indicates that GGF was still an Alien. A lucky few can get around this entire question by producing their ancestor's original Italian passport, so long as it has an issue date after the birth of the next-in-line (your GF).

Your GGF's Italian birth certificate is an absolute necessity and very difficult to bypass. Again, an original Italian passport would help, but not much else. If you can come up with an official church record, you may be able to convince the comune to re-create the destroyed birth record based on information provided by the church, but this is by no means certain. Ultimately, you must prove that your GGF was an Italian citizen, not simply that he was in Italy at some point in his life; this is why the birth certificate is paramount. There is an off chance that the comune - even without the birth records - can provide a Certificato di Cittadinanza (Certificate of Citizenship) for your GGF, depending upon which records were destroyed during the war and which (if any) survived. I would think that a Certificato di Cittadinanza might satisfy the consulate in lieu of birth certificate.

Yes, you can apply in Italy at any comune in which you have first obtained legal residency. Some have reported that they found applying in Italy easier; others that it was more difficult. Much depends on the comune, it seems. Keep in mind that there are extra steps required to make your US-issued documents usable in Italy; they will need to be "legalized" by the Italian consulates covering the districts where the documents were issued.
The ExpatsInItaly forum is a great place to get info on the subject of applying in Italy: http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/vie ... bc959d3825

You indicated that you have your GGF's marriage certificate; is this from Italy? From the same comune where he was born, or from another? It would help if we knew more about this document.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”