Successful Appointment in Newark

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Successful Appointment in Newark

Postby Gianna75010 » 28 Nov 2010, 05:34

I had my appointment for citizenship at the Newark consulate on November 23. It went really well. They accepted all my paperwork and told me that I can get a passport in 2 months!!! I want to thank everyone on this site for their posts which helped me immensely. There is no way that my application would have been accepted on the first try without this bulletin board!!

I applied through my great grandfather to grandfather to father to me. Here are the details of the appointment:

The consulate woman I met with was extremely nice. She started by asking me for the originals of my great-grandfather's birth certificate, marriage certificate and certificate of citizenship all from Italy. Then she asked me if my GGF was ever naturalized. I said he wasn't so she asked me if I had anything to show that. I had a certified letter of non-existence from the USCIS which she looked over and then asked about his death certificate. I thought that was strange because I had heard about the consulates requiring letters from NARA and county clerks. I had those letters so I offered them to her at that time. As I handed her letter after letter of non-existence from different agencies, she actually commented that she was surprised that I had so many documents and said that most people come and don't have nearly enough. Next she asked for my great grandfather's death certificate. Originally there was an error in his birth year on the certificate which she noticed. I had already had it amended so she was impressed.

Next she moved to my grandfather. She asked her his birth, marriage and death certificate all with translations in that order. Then she did the same for my father and me. I did all my own translations and they were accepted without question.

As she took each document she compared each one to the previous ones to make sure the names and dates matched. She also checked the translations to the originals - again making sure the names and dates were the same on the translation and original. She also took notes mainly recording, the documents, all names, dates, and places.

She did not ask for my mother, grandmother or great grandmother's birth certificates or death certificates.

The only issue that came up that I didn't have amended already was the first name of my great grandmother. Her marriage certificate said "Teresa" but my grandfather's (her son's) birth certificate had her listed as "Teresina". The woman immediately noticed the difference on my grandfather's birth certificate and commented that they were different. She stated "forse si faceva chiamare Teresina" ("maybe she went by Teresina") and moved on. To me it seems like she made a mental note of it and wanted to look at everything else before deciding what to do about it. The rest of my documents had all been amended so she finally said that Teresa and Teresina difference was fine. I got the impression that if I had had to make other changes she might have asked me to amend that too. Also, I think she overlooked it because Teresa was not in my direct line. If it had been in my direct line I would have probably had to have had it changed.

After she accepted everything, she gave me an AIRE form to fill out. She filled a form out with all my ancestors' names which she had me sign. She also gave me the forms of never renouncing Italian citizenship. I had to list all the residences of all my ancestors and myself. They on the NYC consulate website so I already had them filled out. Then she told me that I could make an appointment for my passport in 2 months.

After she accepted my application, I asked what my parents had to do if they wanted to get citizenship as well. (I wanted them to come to the appointment with me, but I asked the consulate and they told me I had to come alone). She went to go talk to a colleague. They decided that my parents could make an appointment in 4 months. They would keep everything on file for them. They just have to provide their birth certificates and marriage certificate and translations. It would have been nice to do it all together, but 4 months isn't that bad.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as many details as possible for everyone who is still waiting for their appointments.

Thanks again to everyone on this board for all the advice.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Successful Appointment in Newark

Postby sforza » 28 Nov 2010, 21:48

Congrats, Gianna! I've heard great things about Carmen. Also glad to hear you could do your own translations. I've heard several times that Newark wants you to use someone from their list. Did you have a template?

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 28 Nov 2010, 23:23

Congratulations Gianna. You will be thrilled when you actually have your passport in your hand.

I have all the paperwork for my fiancee's grand-father that you have presented for your own case. He was also never naturalized. So, I'm expecting that things should also go well.

Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Gianna75010 » 29 Nov 2010, 02:40

I didn't meet with Carmen. I met with a woman named Clelia. She went to talk to a colleague at one point so maybe that was Carmen.

I used some translation templates that were on another bulletin board (http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/) as a starting point, but I had to change them a lot. It seems that the formats of documents change a lot depending on what year they were issued. I will try to post mine at some point too.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”