Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
adebeaulac

Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF

Postby adebeaulac » 06 Dec 2010, 20:10

In 1938 my Grandfather natualized in the USA, his son was born in 1935 in the USA. Does this mean I cannot claim Italian citizenship if my Dad was a minor when his father naturalized?

One further peice of information, my father served in the US Marines during Korea, but he never renouced his Italian citizenship. I'm not sure about his father back in 1938

Can anyone help?

Andrew

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF

Postby JPMessina44 » 06 Dec 2010, 22:12

Your grandfather naturalized AFTER the birth of your father, therefore passed down his citizenship before renouncing. You would be eligible in this case.

Your father's father (your grandfather), and forgive me if I am reading this incorrectly, but this is the same question as your first one essentially?

Your first point shows that your grandfather DID renounce his Italian citizenship (by becoming a US citizen in 1938), but it a mute point being that he already passed to your father before doing so.

As for your father, the application for the consulate will ask you if your father renounced Italian citizenship. If this is no, then you are eligible.

* If your father renounced his right to Italian citizenship formally via the Italian consulate, you are NOT eligible. I highly doubt this occured, or else you probably would have given us this fact in your first post.

(as an example, similiar to your, just different generations - My great grandfather became a US citizen in 1931, my grandfather was born in 1927 (4 years before my ggpa renouncing italian and naturalizing)....both my grandfather and father DID NOT renounce their right to italian citizenship, therefore I am eligible for citizenship.)

Hope this helps.

adebeaulac

Postby adebeaulac » 06 Dec 2010, 22:22

Thanks JPMessina44 that's pretty much what I thought. As you said it is highly unlikely that he would have had to renounce his Italian citizenship (although he never applied for an italian passport) since he was born in the USA they would never have ask this of him.

Do you know any good immigrataion attorneys to start the ball rolling? I'm in the UK, but I'm happy to use a US or Italian attorney.

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 07 Dec 2010, 00:41

Thats correct, I think you are alright (at least from what was discussed here)...

I am in no way, affiliated, with any of these firms, expressly or implied. I live in Manhattan and see alot of ADs in paper, billboards, and word of mouth.

Anyway: again, I have NEVER used or worked with these firms. I have NO knowledge of how good they are, do not know pricing. Using any of their services are at at your discretion...

1. Berd and Klauss, PLLC
2. Ruchi and Thakar LLP
3. Bretz and Coven LLP
4. Teplen and Associates PLLC
5. Rothbell Law Firm

Anyway, good starting point. Good luck.

uwlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Postby uwlaw » 07 Dec 2010, 02:35

Andrew,

Your case seems very straightforward, requiring only that you present the relevant paperwork (birth, marrirage, death certificates and proof of non-naturalization) to your local Italian consulate.

Is there a reason why you think you require a lawyer? You can likely find all of the information you need on this message board or on other websites. Moreover, I and many other people with experience stand ready to weigh-in and answer any questions you may have.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”