New York County

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

New York County

Postby DJP1812 » 07 Dec 2010, 20:02

Hi All,

I am trying to collect my GGF Naturalization certificate. Another member was able to search and find me a copy, so I know it exists. I would like to order a certified copy for my citizenship appointment in Miami.

I have already ordered one from NARA but am worried they might not accept it. I rather not go through the USCIS since I hear it takes too long and the quality is horrible.

The copy of the Petition for Naturalization I have states the petition was given at the Southern District of New York, NY. I hear that some people can collect certified copies of Naturalization papers through the court system.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I would like to get the doucments from the New York County (Manhattan) courts. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dom

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: New York County

Postby johnnyonthespot » 07 Dec 2010, 21:56

Miami's website says that they require a copy of the actual Certificate of Naturalization ( http://www.consmiami.esteri.it/Consolat ... tadinanza/ ). Personally, I find this strange - proably a misinterpretaion or mistranslation - but nonetheless... The only place you can get a copy of the actual certificate is USCIS. No other location has it.

As far as the NARA copy goes, so long as you ordered the certified (as opposed to "plain paper") copy, you should be fine.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DJP1812 » 07 Dec 2010, 22:25

Thanks for the fast reply!!!

I ordered the certified copy, so hopefully that works. When I call the consulate to make an appointment, I will clarify!

Thanks,
Dom

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 10 Dec 2010, 16:58

I ordered my great grandfathers from Bronx County Court, and recieved it within 1 week or ordering. Very quick!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”