Question About Marriage Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LoveJesus22
Rookie
Rookie

Question About Marriage Certificate

Postby LoveJesus22 » 09 Dec 2010, 23:20

Is the marriage certificate important for a person while applying for his Italian Citizenship beside the base Documents (His Birth Certificate,Birth certificate for His Italian Parental,Death Certificate for his Italian Parental......) or It isn't ? And if it's Important , Why is it important to have it And To Apply with ? I mean If the Person who applies was Unmarried what would he do ?
Thanx

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Question About Marriage Certificate

Postby sceaminmonkey » 10 Dec 2010, 00:02

I would wait for carmine to respond but it is important. At my appointment I tried using a church one and was told no. also when I handed in official ones I needed to have amendments. I guess everyone on this forum will say it depends on the consulate but it is something you need. I think there may be mention of a unwed father claiming paternity as being a must but, wait for an expert do guide you.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 10 Dec 2010, 00:08

I agree with ScreaminMonkey. It's important in the sense that it is one of the required docs, but it isn't essential in the sense that Italian Citizenship is based on birth right, and I don't believe a legitimate marriage is required to pass on the citizenship. If you are being denied based only on a missing marriage rec, you probably (I say only probably based on having never heard of this being done) can contest the denial, whereas a missing birth cert will tank you right away.

Just my 2 cents. Someone else might have a better take.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

LoveJesus22
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LoveJesus22 » 10 Dec 2010, 10:46

And Why Church Certificate is Not Accepted ?..But now my father is applying through his mother first so i think he doesn't need his marriage certificate but his mother marriage certificate..What Do u Think ?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Dec 2010, 15:17

As a rule, church documents are never accepted. It is a misconception that Italy is the Church and the Church is Italy. In fact, my impression is that there is greater "separation of church and state" in Italy than in most countries. Perhaps one of our Italian friends can jump in on that issue.

The demand for a marriage certificate is questionable becase, as noted above, a child can be illegitimate (from unmarried parents) and still inherit citizenship. My personal opinion is that if all other documents are in order, it should be possible to get around a missing marriage certificate - although you would probably then be listed as an illegitimate child, something you may not want to be burdened with.

At any rate, if a church-issued marriage certificate is available, you may be able to use that document as support for having a state record created.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 10 Dec 2010, 21:45

This is something I'm having to grapple with: there is no record of my paternal GGF and GGM's marriage record. I did the following:
1. Three searches of the NYC archives index with magnifying glass
2. Scroll through three years of microfilmed marriage certs for Manhattan and Brooklyn in case the certificate was never indexed.
3. Contacted 40 churches in Manhattan and Brooklyn - none have the marriage cert nor my GGM's baptismal (often the baptismal is annotated with the name of the church where the marriage was performed).
4 Wrote the archives for closed parish records.
4. Contacted Napoli for my GGM's birth cert in the hope that her entry has been annotated.
They never lived anywhere but Manhattan or Brooklyn.
I'm still coming up empty.

But I plan on bringing certified copies of the census documents that show them living together as husband and wife. I was hoping to bring the WWI draft reg, but it has a middle initial that I'm amending out of all the other vital records because it is his communion/confirmation name and not his middle name.

My hope is that if everything else is in order, Newark will let this slide. There is simply nothing that I can do about it - this is not a situation where one could create a delayed record because I have absolutely no evidence that the marriage ever took place.

If the worst that could happen is that the child is illegitimate, that is a high-class problem. In this case, the illegitimate child would be my GF who is dead, and therefore unlikely to mind.

If one the uber-researchers on this board wants a challenge, here is their info: Michael Sforza, b. 27 Feb 1880, NYC (Manhattan) to Giacomo Sforza and Maria Cristina Trivigno. He married Teresa Manganaro on Jan 25, 1905, according to a letter written by one of their children. Their first child was born in May 1906. Teresa was born 3 June 1884 in Napoli and immigrated in 1896 with her mother Fiorentina Tomaselli, her sisters and two aunts. If someone actually finds the marriage record for Michael and Teresa, you win a bottle of some seriously amazing wine I brought back from Italy.

LoveJesus22
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LoveJesus22 » 10 Dec 2010, 22:30

Thanks All For Your Answers..
But Carmine i have a Family State Certificate ( Which gives all information about the family my dad name his Wife (my Mother) And his Children that i;m One Of Them) So can this certificate replace the marriage certificate or no ? I mean because its written his name and his WIFE name..

I have another question by the way when the papers got sent to our comune in Italy how long does it take to have an answer ?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”