Minor children

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Minor children

Postby Drew927 » 17 Dec 2010, 06:49

What is required for me to bring to my appt relating to my children?
I have their birth certificates with apostille and translations.
Is there anything else I may be overlooking?
Drew

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Minor children

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Dec 2010, 11:26

Nope. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 17 Dec 2010, 17:10

The kid's don't have to come to the appt do they?
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 17 Dec 2010, 18:03

I do not believe that the kids need to come along.
Perhaps, it might speed things up if my 5 year old was touching everything in the office. They may spend less time scouring my documents.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Dec 2010, 18:15

Drew927 wrote:...
Perhaps, it might speed things up if my 5 year old was touching everything in the office. They may spend less time scouring my documents.

I think that's been tried before. :)

Something to keep in mind when it comes time for passports:

a) you cannot get passports for minor children without the written, notarized, consent of both parents. This can be a problem especially if the parents are divorced. The rule is in place to ensure that one parent does not try to "kidnap" (for lack of a better term) the children.

b) we had someone a while back who was not able to obtain her own Italian passport because she was the parent of minor children and she had no idea where her ex-husband was, thus could not obtain his consent. Note: she was not seeking passports for her children, just for herself. I don't recall what the final outcome of her case was.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 17 Dec 2010, 19:05

Drew927 wrote:I do not believe that the kids need to come along.

LOL. I can just imagine my 2 1/2 year old son destroying the office :lol:

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2010, 00:28

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Drew927 wrote:...

I think that's been tried before. :)

Something to keep in mind when it comes time for passports:

a) you cannot get passports for minor children without the written, notarized, consent of both parents. This can be a problem especially if the parents are divorced. The rule is in place to ensure that one parent does not try to "kidnap" (for lack of a better term) the children.

b) we had someone a while back who was not able to obtain her own Italian passport because she was the parent of minor children and she had no idea where her ex-husband was, thus could not obtain his consent. Note: she was not seeking passports for her children, just for herself. I don't recall what the final outcome of her case was.

Carmine,

Your saying that someone cant apply even for themselves if they are divorced but have minor children? My sister is coming with me, is divorced with young kids. She wont be allowed to apply just for herself ?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Dec 2010, 17:24

DeFilippis78 wrote:Carmine,

Your saying that someone cant apply even for themselves if they are divorced but have minor children? My sister is coming with me, is divorced with young kids. She wont be allowed to apply just for herself ?

She can apply for citizenship and can be recognized as such with no problem (as far as the minor children are concerned).

Where she will have problems is obtaining passports for her minor children - this will likely be impossible without the consent of their father. And, based on the other thread I mentioned earlier, she may also have difficulty obtaining her own passport.

In the US, children's passports require the approval of both parents unless one parent (the one requesting the passports) presents a copy of a court order assigning sole custody to him/her. See http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/mi ... step7minor

Ahh, here is the previous thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=16820/
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2010, 17:36

So she can apply and be recognized but wont be able to get an EU passport basically unless the father consents?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2010, 17:38

Can the kids still apply also without consent and just not get a passport?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Dec 2010, 21:04

DeFilippis78 wrote:So she can apply and be recognized but wont be able to get an EU passport basically unless the father consents?

My understanding is that if she and the father have shared custody of the children then she will need his consent before the children can be issued passports and possibly even before she can get her own.

If she has sole custody, then she will need a certified and apostilled copy of the court order and possibly other documentation.
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2010, 21:27

Do divorce papers have to be certified, sealed and translated? Also I forgot to mention the father is from Italy

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”