Non Direct Line Docs - Philly

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Non Direct Line Docs - Philly

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 17 Dec 2010, 17:09

Ciao Tutti,

I know there are different opinions / experiences we've all had with non-direct docs, but does anyone have recent experience in Philly on this? I have everything I need for my direct line (me-F-GF-GGF) but don't have the non-direct line docs (M's birth, GM's birth, GGM's birth and death) except of course their marriage certs. I can easily get all these (I actually already have the hardest one to get my GGM's) but don't really feel like paying to have Apostilles attached to them ($25 a pop) or having them translated unless it will make life easier for me later. Months ago I asked Philly for exactly what I needed and they sent me a form that seems to indicate that I won't need the non-direct line docs, but it also clearly states that the only docs that need translated are my marriage and birth records, but based on everything I've heard here and elsewhere I got Everything translated, just in case.

Anyone been to Philly recently?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Non Direct Line Docs - Philly

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Dec 2010, 18:32

Someone here - possibly Riccardo Bruno (ricbru) once published the official list of required documents per Italian citizenship law. It was very clear that only direct-line documents are required to make application.

I think some consulates are used to asking for both sides because in the early years most applicants had very little information on the process and no idea if they even qualified. By requesting documents from both sides, the consular official was able to help find the most viable path to citizenship.

Today's applicants are much better prepared and have already drawn out a viable path.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 17 Dec 2010, 19:06

Thanks Carmine. That makes sense. I think I'll just go in with what I have and if they need me to come back, so be it.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 21 Dec 2010, 01:39

you should also point out that you what you bought with you was based on the list they gave you. I have to say it annoys me that a city only a couple hours away has such different rules. I had to hand in non direct line certificates. although I do admit they were more easy about it, and did not require death.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 21 Dec 2010, 01:39

you should also point out that you what you bought with you was based on the list they gave you. I have to say it annoys me that a city only a couple hours away has such different rules. I had to hand in non direct line certificates. although I do admit they were more easy about it, and did not require death.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”