Name Issues...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Name Issues...

Postby jalapeno89 » 19 Dec 2010, 09:45

So i have most of the documents, however when my great grandfather moved from Italy, they changed his name from Arturo to Arthur. Will this cause problems? his birth certificate say Arturo, but the naturalization, marriage and death certificates all say Arthur. How should i fix this?

Also, on one of the documents, someone changed the "a" at the end of our last name to an "o" however, the signatures are all the same, the date of birth is the same and the signature clearly shows an "a" at the end of the name. Will this change things?

thanks -- Mike

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Name Issues...

Postby sforza » 19 Dec 2010, 13:23

Which Consulate are you using? Some may view it not as a discrepancy but as a translation issue.
Was the name change legal or informal?
Which document has an "o" instead of "a"?
What state(s) issued the vital records? You will not be able to change the naturalization document, but the rest depend on the rules of the state that issued them.

jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jalapeno89 » 19 Dec 2010, 17:33

I am using the Houston consulate, the name change was never formal, it just happened and there is no record of it. Only the naturalization document has the "o", Forlenza -> Forlenzo, however the signature on the document clearly shows an "a". Thanks for your help.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 19 Dec 2010, 18:45

If it's just the naturalization document, you should be fine, esp. if the signature has the correct spelling. Funny, my GGGF's naturalization document has a similar discrepancy - replaced the "o" in Giacomo with an "a."
Perhaps someone who has used Houston can share their experience on whether Arturo/Arthur would be considered a discrepancy or not.
I'm going ahead and amending everything to match the birth certs for my parents' appointments. I think this is a good rule of thumb, especially if you have other discrepancies that are not amendable.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”