Translation of documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of documents

Postby jalapeno89 » 21 Dec 2010, 00:16

So i have read on several other websites and a few of these postings that some consulates do not require translations of documents and they will do it for you. I fall under the jurisdiction of both Houston and Philadelphia, does anyone know if there is any truth to this? thanks for your help

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Translation of documents

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 21 Dec 2010, 04:22

I live in the Philly jurisdiction and can tell you for a 100% certainty that they do not translate the docs for you. A few years ago they used to, but they have stopped providing that service. Unfortunately, I have no clue about Houston, but if they will do it for you, I'd consider using them. Translations have been the most expensive part of the process for me by far.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 21 Dec 2010, 11:48

When I began the process in NY, translations were not required, but before the process was completed, NY started to require them. I believe that today, all consulates require translations.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 21 Dec 2010, 15:10

100% you must translate documents for Houston. Another forum member had posted on the subject.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Dec 2010, 13:52

sceaminmonkey wrote:100% you must translate documents for Houston. Another forum member had posted on the subject.

That doesn't surprise me, I think all the consulates have done away with providing translations as a way of cutting costs. Remember, Italia is having some financial difficulties at the moment, nothing as bad as say what Greece went through, but still they are cutting costs.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 22 Dec 2010, 16:29

I think its simply a matter of time. with all the applicants they have and 1+ year waiting times , it simply does not make sense to wast time translating our documents. I do not blame them at all. and yes to have staff just to compensate for translations would cost money.

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Dec 2010, 17:24

Well, anything that speeds up the process is a good thing. I know I wouldn't want to wait any longer than I already am, even if it meant free translations.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jalapeno89 » 22 Dec 2010, 21:20

If i speak italian, or know someone who does, can i just translate the documents? Is the needed translation just a piece of paper that has the info written in italian, or is it a special document?

uwlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Postby uwlaw » 22 Dec 2010, 22:13

Jalapeno, it depends completely on your consulate.

Some will accept translations regardless of who performed them (they will just spot-check them to see if they're accurate). Others will only accept them if they're from a certified translator. Yet others (eg Boston) require that they be performed by a certified translator who is physically located in the State where the document was issued.

Prices vary accordingly. The first option can be free, if you know what you're doing. The second and third can range up to $50/page or more, depending on the location.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 23 Dec 2010, 01:50

I would contact Gabriella Einaga. I got her information off this forum and was super happy with her translations and her prices! gabriella_einaga@att.net . I think I paid her around 250 and I went through my GGF she translated about 15 documents for the NYC consulate. Prices might be different for your certificates but she was good. very detailed she even translated the seals on the documents.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”