Making Changes to Discrepancies

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Rastafeyd

Making Changes to Discrepancies

Post by Rastafeyd »

Greetings,

I've collected all the necessary documents to provide to the Italian consulate in Chicago. Also, the proper documents have apostilles. The brick wall I've run into is some spelling discrepancies. The last name is Miniello, but several documents have spellings ranging from: Minniello to Minello. I thought having these changed through the courts would be a headache but at least possible, but having just got off the phone with a Magistrate from Ohio, she informs me that it is not possible to make changes to birth or death certificates once the person is deceased. It's not even possible for relatives to make the changes. Has anyone gone through Ohio's court system or is aware of an alternative to getting these changed? I realize the spelling discrepancies are minor, but my understanding is that any discrepancies result in a dismissal of application. I'd really appreciate any insights, advice, experiences or just plain help at finding a way around this situation. Thanks so much.

Michael
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Making Changes to Discrepancies

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I have no experience with Ohio but, I would be shocked if AT LEAST the death certificate cant be changed.
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Making Changes to Discrepancies

Post by Rodio »

Michael--

Perhaps have the Ohio official write an official letter stating that vital records cannot be changed once the person is deceased, have this letter translated and apostilled (if able). You could have the closest living family member to your deceased ascendants write a statement that attests that the person is the same person, have that translated and notarized.

I'm sure other forum members will have better ideas...

Buona fortuna.