FBI Clearance

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

FBI Clearance

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 29 Dec 2010, 20:53

Ciao tutti,

I just got my appointment at long last, but as I was talking with the very nice and helpful lady who was booking my appt, I asked what all was required and she mentioned an FBI Clearance. I've had to get these back when I was substitute teaching, so it isn't a problem, but I have never heard of this requirement before. I suppose it makes some sense, but still is this something new?

Also, she said my wife could come along and gain her citizenship through me at this appt. I was under the impression this wasn't allowed. So I was very happy to have to make one less trip to Philly.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: FBI Clearance

Postby DeFilippis78 » 29 Dec 2010, 22:12

Congrats on your appt!!! I know youve been waiting a long time. Youve got my interest here.....a FBI clearance? I thought that was for the spouse ONLY. And your wife can apply at the same time as you? I thought once you were done, then there was a wait period of 2 years, a fee and background check. Im curious if anyone else comes on here to add to this

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 29 Dec 2010, 23:27

She is supposed to send me an email with everything I need. I got such an email directly from the consulate back in the spring w/o the FBI Clearance on it. I'll probably get it, just to play it safe.

Does anyone know anything definitive about the spouse thing? No sense in dragging her and the kids to Philly to find out she can't apply. The IPS lady thought that as long was we were married for at least 3 yrs we could apply together.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 29 Dec 2010, 23:48

What Ive heard is as long as your together 3 years they could apply but not until AFTER your citizenship is recognized and you have your passport. They apply, and there is a 2 year wait from that point.

I was reading that website and I didnt see them say anything about FBI for you, the applicant. I also did read there is the 2 year wait, but they put it in days. Also, they said the fee for a spouse applying has to be paid before your appointment. I find that ridiculous because what if they turn you down? Do you get that money back?

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 29 Dec 2010, 23:52

I just emailed them and asked about the spouse issue. The consulate directed me toward them for scheduling an appt and for all info on citizenship. I think they don't want to bother with us "pre-applicants" anymore b/c of all the appts.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 29 Dec 2010, 23:57

Phillys email was useless. Although they would answer me, it was the shortest answers you can think of that didnt clarify much. It seems this IPS is better qualified.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 30 Dec 2010, 01:04

I dont think that lady knows what she was talking about. you dont need FBI clearance because no matter what if you are applying through descent they must accept it. even with a criminal record. A spouse however is actually applying and not saying recognize my birtdh and since they are applying can be rejected for having a criminal record. your wife is the one who needs the FBI clearance not you. and I am pretty sure they wont send her application to rome until you are recognized.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2010, 01:08

Thats what I thought too. They cant deny you your right, even if your a criminal. Its the spouse only. Unless they changed the law. Things are switching up a little in Philly

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 30 Dec 2010, 01:33

I think she didn't know what she was talking about, which is rather peculair b/c this IPS group is supposed to know. I'm thinking I'll hear back tomorrow that my wife's appt is canceled.

Also, I think she was off on the criminal record thing. I found the new official list online and it does not mention it for Jure Sanguinis.

I'll have to pay to talk to them again tomorrow. I expect to find out what we already know about the wife and the FBI. I'll update if and when I know something.

Fun, fun, fun...

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2010, 01:37

Thanks for making the phone calls and updating us...and paying the bill ;)

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 30 Dec 2010, 13:58

Well, I had to call to make the appt anyways, but I will let you know if/ when I get that updated packet. Thx.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Dec 2010, 17:05

I have never heard of a husband/wife applying for citizenship through marriage at the same time as his/her spouse applies for citizenship jus sanguinis except in the case of a wife who married an "Italian citizen" prior to April 27, 1983 (but that is an entirely different situation).

The Phiadelphia site links to a PDF document at the bottom of this page http://www.consfiladelfia.esteri.it/Con ... tadinanza/ (click on "Citizenship by Marriage to an Italian Citizen".

As you can see, citizenship through marriage has some severe requirements including a €200 fee paid in advance of application submission and background checks by the FBI and the local police for every jurisdiction in which the applicant resided during adulthood. These backgound checks are only good for a relatively short period of time (I think it is 90 days), so you don't want to order them too early in the process.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Dec 2010, 17:34

But the applicant doesn't need the fbi check right?

Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rodio » 30 Dec 2010, 18:08

DeFilippis78 wrote:But the applicant doesn't need the fbi check right?

I agree with Carmine. I applied in LA in 2009 and I did not need any FBI clearance. My wife would need one if she wants to apply for citizenship by marriage--we were married after '83. She could only apply AFTER my citizenship was recognized, not when I applied.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Dec 2010, 21:10

DeFilippis78 wrote:But the applicant doesn't need the fbi check right?

For jus sanguinis, you either are or are not an Italian based on your ancestry. And, if you are italian by birth, then it doesn't matter if you have a criminal record a mile long and are currently serving a long prison sentence.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”