Help with a ship manifest - origin of passenger

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Help with a ship manifest - origin of passenger

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tessa78 wrote:So you think maybe Rose Perricone, 22, is sister of Biagio, 16?
And wife of Giuseppe Morello?

That would definitely give another clue... Nice Census, too1

T.
I interpret this as Vincenzo Morello is traveling with his brother, Giuseppe; Rosa Perricone is Giuseppe's wife; and Biagio Perricone is presumably Rosa's brother.

It's my best guess. :)

image uploader
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Wow, you guys are good. Yes, that all makes sense to me. Rosa Perricone does seem to be Giuseppe Morello's wife. The reasoning and date matching makes a lot of sense. So it looks like Biagio had a sister that lived much longer than he did. More work for me to do...

Now how do I use this naturalization card to order a full copy of the papers for Giuseppe Morello? I'm going to assume that since Rosa and Giuseppe came from Italy as a married couple, they are all from the same village, which will be listed on citizenship docs. Thanks again!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I'm thinking maybe "Vincenzo" is actually "Vincenza" :-D

Dressmaker?

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I am in my car right now. Someone should look for giuseppe morello's WWI draft card. Pretty sure he would have had to register - I forget the exact age range...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Been looking... not jumping out for me!

Will try some variations of spelling... :-)

T.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

I think it is a Vincenza as well based on the m/f notation above. Probably a sister of Giuseppe's.

As for the draft cards, I've been looking as well. Nothing. But then again, I have a number of other relatives that should have registered for the WWI draft and I can't find their cards for the life of me.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

You can order Giuseppe's naturalization documents from the National Archives. Go to archives.gov and click the "order online" link on the left side of screen. Use the info on the index card above. A few fields demand entry; if you don't have info just put X's or 9's. Cost for uncertified copies is $7.50 and usually takes only a few weeks.
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I found on ancestry that sometimes, even when a person comes up in the index for the WWI draft, the image of their card isn't there. For my husband's paternal grandfather, they had the wrong cards scanned with the indexes. I used an online form on the www.nara.gov website. You need an address though where the individual was residing in 1917 or early 1918. If you don't have one, you can use the address which appears on the 1920 census. I filled out the form online and paid with a credit card on a Sunday evening and had the photocopy of the card in Thursday's mail. This was a year ago January, but I'm sure their services are still as good. The WWI cards are currently housed in their regional facility in Atlanta Ga on Jonesboro road. Also there is a box on the form where you can add comments, so if you think your surname has varied in spelling, you might want to include that info, but the address is the most important information.
Peg

rjrdomer wrote:I think it is a Vincenza as well based on the m/f notation above. Probably a sister of Giuseppe's.

As for the draft cards, I've been looking as well. Nothing. But then again, I have a number of other relatives that should have registered for the WWI draft and I can't find their cards for the life of me.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

By the way, the cost for this was $5.00 which included them locating the card, photocopying it, and mailing it.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Based on Giuseppe's birth year (1868), I don't think he would have been required to register for the WWI draft after all, so you are unlikely to find a card for him. See this page for info.

I am sure you are all correct concerning Vincenza, by the way. Honestly, I was paying attention only to Giuseppe & Rosa. :)
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Looks like the National Archives has prettied up its website.

To place a document order, start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov and go ahead and create an account on the right. Next, click "Order Reproductions" and then "Immigration & Naturalization Records"
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I know I am really stretching now, but I wonder if one of these is Giuseppe and Rosa's first-born:

All New York City Births, 1891-1902: Antonio Morello 25 Oct 1898, Certificate number 16166

All New York City Births, 1891-1902: Antonino Morello 8 Oct 1898, Certificate number 14786

Social Security Death Index about Anthony Morello
Name: Anthony Morello
SSN: 304-32-3565
Last Residence: 46219 Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana, United States of America
Born: 27 Oct 1898
Died: Jan 1969
State (Year) SSN issued: Indiana (Before 1951)
Carmine

rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Carmine,

Yes, it is likely that is the same person.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Giuseppe and Rosa's son Vincent, New York TImes obituary:

image hosting
Carmine

rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Wow thanks again. You're on a roll. I may make another post to see if anyone can help locate another relative.