naturalization confusion

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

naturalization confusion

Postby kat2412 » 12 Jan 2011, 23:47

Hello again to all,

I am still completely confused about getting naturalization records. I've looked on the NARA site and also the USCIS site and do not know at all what i am supposed to be looking for, how do i make a request for "official" documentation regarding an ancestor's naturalization status. Could someone maybe send me a link to where i need to be looking? Also, if they respond that there are no records on that person...what do i do next? Will I need to look for naturalization records in New Orleans, LA, Bryan, TX and Houston, TX if all 4 of my great grandparents on my father's side lived in those cities at some point? Do i need to research each city individually? or is there some cosmic all encompassing United States database that I only need to search once? I am so confused :cry:

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: naturalization confusion

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 13 Jan 2011, 00:11

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

It's a two step process:

First, you want to do an index search, then when you have the C-File number you can request the official document.

If there is no record found you'll need a letter from USCIS attesting to that fact. Depending on which consulate you are going through, you might need additional info to prove that your ancestor did not naturalize, like a census record.

Good Luck!!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

jennabet
Master
Master

Re: naturalization confusion

Postby jennabet » 13 Jan 2011, 19:18

Forza Italia, can you please explain how to do an Index search? Is it something I do online and then submit the form with the $20 payment if I find a C-File number? How do I find the C-File number? I don't see a place to search for it on the website you provided.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”