Ruolo Matricolare

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Ruolo Matricolare

Postby jalapeno89 » 14 Jan 2011, 08:10

Does anyone know what this is? i contacted the comune of my great grandfather, they said that they could not find his birth certificate but had il Ruolo Matricolare. What is this and would it suffice to prove that he was indeed an italian citizen? thanks -- Mike

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Ruolo Matricolare

Postby maestra36 » 14 Jan 2011, 23:11

I believe it contains items like the first and last name of the military individual. The year the person was called to serve in the military. A roll number. A register number, sometimes the date of birth of the individual and the place of birth of that individual.

Here is a link to search a ruolo matricolare for the province of Benevento. You can use one of my surnames to do search-which is Mezzullo. When each Mezzullo comes up in the list, you can click on an individual name and see the information that comes up for that person in the search.

http://archiviodistatobenevento.benicul ... h_form.asp

Here's another website where the information from the ruolo matricolare can also be searched, but the information is not the same as the one for the Province of Benevento.

http://archiviodistatogorizia.benicultu ... atricolari

click on the highlighted links which say registri matricolari

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 14 Jan 2011, 23:23

Basically I believe it is a list of all of those who have served in the military. If the list is maintained by your town, then it would be a list of all individuals from your ancestral town who have served in the military. The information contained in the list may vary from town to town.

mandrogna

Postby mandrogna » 18 Jan 2011, 17:26

jalapeno89 wrote:Does anyone know what this is? i contacted the comune of my great grandfather, they said that they could not find his birth certificate but had il Ruolo Matricolare. What is this and would it suffice to prove that he was indeed an italian citizen? thanks -- Mike

Hi:

The Liste di Leva contain the name of all those young residents in an Italian province who were twenty years old and in conditions to go to the military service.
The Ruoli Matricolar
i contains a list of those young enrolled in the army.

You can find more information here Liste di Leva and Ruoli Matricolari

Regards,

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”