citizenship possible after generations in the US

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Re: citizenship possible after generations in the US

Post by trinasignoriello »

sorry for the delay.
my ggf was born in italy. never gave up his citizenship in america. my gm was born in 1910, my mother in 1942. now the statement in category 5 states that an italian mother can only pass it on through her children if they were born after 1948. i am not trying to go trhough my italian ggm.... I want to go through my ggf to my gm to my m. the italian mother plays no role in this.
as far as the statement reads, I should be able to go this route.

my dad's side wont work. gf became a citizen before my dad was born.

thanks
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. You can only obtain Italian citizenship from a parent who obtained it from his parent, etc. Thus, your gm obtain citizenship from her father (your ggf). When your mother was born, your gm did have Italian citizenship, but she was unable to pass it on to her child (your mother) because of the citizenship law in effect in 1942. The Italian line was broken at that point.

You are eligible for expedited citizenship with three years of residency in Italy.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

italianfrombuffalo wrote: i don't know if NY had a 1890 census.
New York did have an 1890 police census, and it's available in the municipal archives. You have to know where your ancestor lived to use them - they are not indexed by person but by house address. Also, if you consult these, here's a tip: The index numbers don't refer to microfilm #s, but to volume numbers. It took me too long to figure this out.