POW during WW2 in UK

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
electrictiff

POW during WW2 in UK

Postby electrictiff » 15 Jan 2011, 17:37

Hi All,

I have been looking for information about POW camps in the UK where my father-in-law was after his capture in Africa during WW2. We have found the odd photo of prisoners and wondered if anyone else had any such photo's or information, and whether there is an official site where people try to find photo's and information about there relations during this time?

I look forward to any information regarding the above,

Regards

Mick Tiffany

MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Re: POW during WW2 in UK

Postby MaryMena » 16 Jan 2011, 13:48

My father was also captured in North Africa in Jan. of 1941. After spending a year as a POW in South Africa he was transferred to Britain where he spent the next 4 years in POW camps, in Sheffield, No. 17; Kettering, #35, and Northampton.

I have 4 pictures of him taken in groups of 10 between 1942 and 1945. These were sent to his family back in Italy.

I don't know of any sites that have specific information regarding POW's in the UK, but the "Island Farm" website has a lot of general info.

MaryMena

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”