Letters of No Naturalization Records Found & Apostilles

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Letters of No Naturalization Records Found & Apostilles

Postby Drew927 » 18 Jan 2011, 17:47

Did anyone have the letters of "no records found" apostilled?
I know that the USCIS and NARA letters are fine but I am concerned about the letters from the County Clerks office.

Any ideas or experiences with this?
Drew

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Letters of No Naturalization Records Found & Apostil

Postby KarenChristino » 19 Jan 2011, 19:08

Drew,

I have to deal with this issue in NYC myself. I have the "no records found" letter with an original signature. In Brooklyn, I found my GGF Declaration of Intent and they gave me a certified copy. I was then able to go to the County Clerk (same building) to have them authenticate the signature. Now it is ready for me to get the apostille.

I imagine that the same procedure would hold for the letter -- get the County Clerk to authenticate the signature and then get the apostille. Anyone else have more info?

Karen

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 19 Jan 2011, 19:28

Karen,
Thanks for the response. I was originally not going to have these letters apostilled but now I am reconsidering it. I too am going through the NYC consulate but I have 1 letter from Passaic County NJ.

Does the NYC Consulate require these letters to have an aposille attached?
Drew

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 19 Jan 2011, 19:47

I don't know if they require it. I am going anyway, so I'll just have it done to this document too.

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JavaisLife » 22 Jan 2011, 20:23

Hi Drew & Karen,

You do not need to get the USCIS and NARA letters apostilled. You only need to get the certificates (birth, marriage, death) apostilled and translated.

However, I did go the distance and got the certified letters of correction translated and apostilled (which attach to, and go along w/ the birth/marriage/death certificate).

Cheers,
Marie

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 22 Jan 2011, 22:52

We were talking about the "no record" letters from the County Clerk's office -- do we need to get them apostilled as well?

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JavaisLife » 22 Jan 2011, 23:39

"No record" for which? The Naturalization search? What is making you think you need to apostilled them?

Nothing, aside from the birth/marriage/death certificate(s) need to be apostilled.

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 23 Jan 2011, 15:00

Right -- that was the "no records" letters from the County offices on Naturalization searches.

I imagined that anything the Italian government is considering as documentation would have to be apostilled for them to officially accept. Since they don't require it for the letters of no records, does that imply that the naturalization issue is a judgment call of the consulate officials themsleves? Or is it just that these records won't be going back to Italy?

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JavaisLife » 23 Jan 2011, 16:20

From my understanding - when I spoke to them on Friday.

They forward the Vital Certificates (birth/marriage/death) w/ translations to Italy to be filed at the family commune.

The no-found records are for reference. For the most part - you are telling them you tried, but they were not found. They would not forward that to Italy. The Naturalization searches are to prove that your family member didn't become a citizen, or did become a citizen but after, etc. This is for their internal records or qualifications.

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 23 Jan 2011, 16:48

Thanks -- that makes a lot of sense. I guess the "no records" letters are really non-documents.

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 23 Jan 2011, 18:08

That works for me. I just wanted to make sure about it. I'm having some Doc's Apostilled on friday so I would have had them done at that time.

Thanks,
Drew

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”