Any Info? RE: USCIS & Historical Assn

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Any Info? RE: USCIS & Historical Assn

Postby jennabet » 23 Jan 2011, 20:46

Back in September, I received a "No Records Found" letter with raised seal from USCIS. In December after I found a Cert. #, I resubmitted my request and have received notification from USCIS Geneology that "the records you are seeking are pending review as required by the US Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C #552, which must be completed before we can release the record to you". This means I may have to wait six months.

That record is specifically, Cert.#C405951, Date of Nat. 8/04/1913, City/County: Emporium/Cameron, State: Pennsylvania, Court: Cameron County

I found out about this naturalization because a distant relative who may have been involved with the Cameron County Historical Association and worked for the local library sent me a plain piece of paper listing family names and this "C" number was on it. The plain piece of paper was included in a 70 page type-written family tree booklet prepared by a local woman in the county. She is not a relative -- just another member of the Cameron County Historical Association.

I have been in touch with the Cameron County Court house several times. They did send me a copy of the Declaration of Intention but after several searches, could not come up with the Certificate of Naturalization. I maintain that this is because the Cameron County Historical Assn. may have removed the document. I have also spoken with the Cameron County Historical Assn and they were not interested in being cooperative.

For my own case, I went straight to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives and received a copy of my grand-father's Naturalization papers within ten days.

We are talking about State/County/Federal records here. They should be maintained in their proper places. What can I do to get the Cameron County Courthouse to retrieve a copy of the document and send it to me?

Who are these people running the historical associations? What is their authority? All of this nonsense has significantly delayed our case.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”