And More of a Mess

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

And More of a Mess

Postby jennabet » 23 Jan 2011, 21:37

Again, you should all be concerned about your documents.

"Kenny Ostrum brought a book by Edna M. Dunbar (copyright 1987) titled :arrow: "NATURALIZATION RECORDS OF CAMERON COUNTY 1850-1906". These records were compiled from the Naturalization records at the Cameron County Courthouse. Many families can find their ancestor's information there and how some of the family names may have been altered through the assimilation process and the ever-present spelling errors, phonetics, and literacy issues."

Gee, isn't this interesting? I can find the record in a book -- but I can't find the actual document because Cameron County Courthouse told me they had a fire.

Again, these are Federal, State, County records. Public property of the people. What can we do to ensure they are properly taken care of?

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: And More of a Mess

Postby kontessa » 24 Jan 2011, 16:55

jennabet wrote:Again, these are Federal, State, County records. Public property of the people. What can we do to ensure they are properly taken care of?

Why not write a detailed letter with your objections noted and send it to the Clerk of Court, the local newspaper, a judge from the area, the local congressman (woman), the director of the state's vital records division and also to the state attorney general. Have I left anyone out?

I'm bothered by the lax nature by which some of these records are maintained as well, especially when certain states make it next to impossible to access them. During my search for a family birth record, I discovered that a local town clerk kept all of the old birth/death/marriage registers in her home. (She probably had the new ones too.)

jennabet
Master
Master

Re: And More of a Mess

Postby jennabet » 24 Jan 2011, 17:27

A similar situation exists in this case. A distant relative and a member of the Cameron County Geneology Club and Historical Association actually sent me a type-written piece of paper with all the information taken directly from the Naturalization certificate, including the Naturalization number and the names of the witnesses from the town who signed the petition.

To top it off and make matters even more disturbing, the immigrant in question is not her ancestor. But she did the research on him for her "Cameron County History Book" so she must have had her hands on this document and knows where it is now but will not send me a copy.

Yes, it's time to write those letters. Thank you very much for your good advice.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”