Eligibility Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Traveler7
Rookie
Rookie

Eligibility Question

Postby Traveler7 » 24 Jan 2011, 14:20

Is it possible to obtain dual citizenship through the family line of mother-grandmother-greatgrandfather? Thanks!

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Eligibility Question

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 24 Jan 2011, 14:57

Well, the simple answer is... YES! But, there are various issues that could disqualify you.

For example, women could only pass on citizenship AFTER 1948, so if your MOTHER was born before '48 her mother would not have passed citizenship on to her. If your MOTHER was born after '48, you'd be fine. Another problem would be that your GREAT GF would have to be living in Italy AFTER 1861 to have been an Italian citizen. Alternatively, he could have emigrated but NOT naturalized until AFTER 1861. In all probability, neither of these issues would effect you.

You also will need to make sure your GREAT GF became a naturalized citizen of the United States (or another country) only AFTER your GRANDMOTHER was born. Once your GREAT GF naturalized he lost Italian citizenship and any right to pass citizenship on.

Finally, you'll need to make sure NO ONE officially renounced citizenship, if so you cannot regain citizenship based on Jure Sanguinis.

Of all the above exceptions the only one that people frequently encounter is the issue surrounding naturalization.

If you are fine on all of that, you only need to keep your fingers crossed that you can find all the required documents to prove you qualify.

Good Luck!!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

Traveler7
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Traveler7 » 24 Jan 2011, 23:15

Thanks for the info! It appears I qualify!

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 25 Jan 2011, 01:41

Awesome!

My advice, schedule an appt. I waited until I had everything in order then went to schedule an appt in Philly in June 2010. I was told to call back in Jan 2011 to make my appt, which I did. I finally got an appt, for Jan 2012 and have since heard they are now scheduling in the spring of 2012. So it can be quite a wait for an appointment.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”