A-File, AR-2 Records, and "No Records"

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
brentini

A-File, AR-2 Records, and "No Records"

Postby brentini » 24 Jan 2011, 14:50

My wife is attempting to gain Italian dual-citizenship through her maternal grandfather. He emigrated from Italy in 1905 and lived in Connecticut until his death in 1953. We believe he was never naturalized. Census records from 1920 and 1930 indicate that he was an alien, as does a WWI draft registration. A search with the National Archives produced no evidence of him being naturalized. However, an index search with US Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS) produced the existence of an A-File record and possibly a Form AR-2.

My understanding is that the type of records mentioned by the USCIS refers to immigrant registration as opposed to naturalization. Given that the New York Consulate indicates the need for a “No Recordsâ€

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: A-File, AR-2 Records, and "No Records"

Postby sceaminmonkey » 24 Jan 2011, 15:47

I think the no records is really more to show that they did not naturalize or did after the birth of their child. A letter showing a registered alien proving they did not naturalize before theor Childs birth should he more than ok with the consulate but hey be cafeful and do both! They also might not give a no record they might just give a letter saying they were a registered alien.

Best of luck!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Jan 2011, 15:53

You are correct; "A File" records relate to Alien Registration. You would be hoping to locate "C File" (C = Citizenship) records.

Huge numbers of Italians naturalized in the years leading up to WWII as evidence that they were not supporters of Mussolini's facist dictatorship.

You most likely will not need the A / AR file records, however you will need multiple No Records Found letters from USCIS, the National Archives, and the state and local courts for each area in which your wife's grandfather ever resided while in the US. The A / AR records can be helpful if they show that he was still registereed as an Alien at the time of your wife's mother's birth.

Also, just to avoid an unnecessary wild goose chase, it is imperative that your wife was born on or after January 1, 1948. Prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only by the father, so she could not have inherited from her mother if born too early.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Jan 2011, 15:59

sceaminmonkey wrote:.. A letter showing a registered alien proving they did not naturalize before theor Childs birth should he more than ok with the consulate but hey be cafeful and do both! They also might not give a no record they might just give a letter saying they were a registered alien.

Somewhere along the way, there was at least one report of a consulate refusing to accept solely AR records which showed that the person named was still a registered alien after the date of birth of the next in line. The excuse was something along the lines of the person may have unknowingly registerd as an alien, oblivious to the fact that he/she already had US citizenship. This could be especially likely in the case of a woman who naturalized with her husband prior to 1926'ish when automatic spousal naturalization ended, or to a minor child who was automatically naturalized along with a parent .
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”