correcting name mistakes in CA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
masidao

correcting name mistakes in CA

Postby masidao » 25 Jan 2011, 19:14

Hi guys, I am going apply for dual citizenship in California (Bay Area).

I am happy because I think I now have all the original documents I need to do this including the documents I needed from Italy which I just received!

I noticed on some of the documents originating from CA, there are name spelling mistakes. The question now is how hard is it to have this corrected in California? Anybody have any insight?

Changes that I may need to have done (?):

-GGF's first name is Gerolamo but on my grandmother's birth certificate it's spelled Girolamo.

-GGF's mother's first name is Teresa on his birth certificate from Italy but on his death certificate in CA her name is spelled Theresa.

-GGM's birth certificate from Italy her father's first name is Giuseppe but on her death certificate in CA it has her father's first name as Vito. Last name is the same though.

-On my GF's birth certificate in CA they spelled his name Cesare but on ALL other documents (marriage, death, child's birth cert), his name is spelled Caesar. PLUS his dad's first name AND his mom's last name are spelled wrong on this document BUT I don't know if this matters because I'm applying through the bloodline of my GM not my GF.

-On my GF's birth certificate and grandparent's marriage certificate (CA) my grandfather's middle name is Vito but on his death certificate and my mom's birth certificate his middle name is Victor.

-Lastly my mom's first name is Victoria on all documents except her marriage certificate it says Vicky.

Is this a mess or are some of these not necessary to be changed? What's your opinion and any insight into having these things corrected in California?

Thank you so much in advance.

Doug

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: correcting name mistakes in CA

Postby jwazevedo » 27 Jan 2011, 05:56

Hi Doug,

Most of these discrepancies seem to be either a simple spelling glitch or a straight translation of the name from Italian to English. In my experience with San Francisco, such discrepancies didn't cause trouble. You might want to file a "one-and-the-same" affidavit for each person to point out and clarify the discrepancies.

The one discrepancy that seems as if it could cause you trouble is the change from Giuseppe to Vito. That's a big leap. I can't quite figure out if this person is in your direct line. If not in the direct line, leave him out of your application. If this person is necessary for your case, then you might have to correct the CA document. In California, you need a court order to correct a document. There was a posting on this forum last year by a fellow who went through the process and documented it nicely. I've lost the link, but you can find it through a search.

These are just my opinions, and I hope you'll get other ideas as well from other members of the forum.

Good luck,
Jerry

masidao

Re: correcting name mistakes in CA

Postby masidao » 27 Jan 2011, 16:48

Thanks Jerry. Yes the Guiseppe/Vito glitch is not in my direct line so I will try to get by without changing that one. The glitches that are in my direct line are pretty simple ones so I'll just worry about those and see what happens.

I went to the vital statistics office for San Mateo County (office is in Redwood City) where I got my needed birth, death and marriage certificates and they gave my the forms to go ahead and request the amendments with the state of CA. Anybody who needs this info can also find the info here: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdea ... cords.aspx

Looks like it will take a couple months for it to be completed.

Thanks for your insight! I hope the SF consulate won't make a big deal about obvious and simple spelling glitches.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”