While We're At It - Spelling

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

While We're At It - Spelling

Postby jennabet » 25 Jan 2011, 21:59

I don't think this a big deal but the family name from Calabria is Perri (with an i). The same name used by the family in the USA is Perry (with a y).

Also, when the son came off the boat he was Francesco. But at some point started going by Frank (english translation). These are the only discrepancies and again, I don't think it's a big deal.

Any thoughts?

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: While We're At It - Spelling

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 25 Jan 2011, 22:48

I think you'll be fine. I think you're going through NYC, right? Philly tells me a signed affidavit is needed to attest that these are the same people, but with such minor changes I think even that might not be needed. I'd doubt that would torpedo your application. Someone like Screamin Monkey whose been through NYC might have a better feel though.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 26 Jan 2011, 00:29

San Francisco, actually for my boyfriend's case. But I did use Philly for my own case.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 26 Jan 2011, 01:28

I dont know how the consulate in california will take it but had it been in nyc from what I can tell from my own case and other recent cases I would say get them corrected. honestly frank perry and Francesco Perri is kind of a big change. its both names. anyway you can get them amended?

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 26 Jan 2011, 01:38

jennabet wrote:San Francisco, actually for my boyfriend's case. But I did use Philly for my own case.

If its an easy fix and not too expensive you might want to fix them. As you well know each consulate has there own guidelines and these seem to be perpetually in flux, so it is hard to say. Worse comes to worse they'll tell you to amend them at the appointment.

Anyone out there have direct (and recent) experience with San Fran?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”