Success in Vancouver

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Success in Vancouver

Postby jwazevedo » 27 Jan 2011, 06:13

I’ve just returned from the Italian Consulate in Vancouver, BC, where I learned that my application for recognition of citizenship had been accepted and my birth recorded in my late grandfather’s comune of Garzeno. I could not have done this without the advice and support of this forum, so I want to share my story with you, with my thanks.

For most of my life, I never imagined that I was an Italian citizen. It was while researching my family history two years ago that I found out about jus sanguinus and its implications for me. I decided to apply for recognition of citizenship as a way to honour my Italian mother and the line of ancestors whose lived lives led to my place on earth.

My case was straight-forward: born after 1948 to a U.S.-born mother whose father had immigrated from Italy and hadn’t naturalized until after her birth. All of the documents in this line were available and were in order, with one glitch. (There’s always at least one glitch.) My mother had always been known as Lucy, but I discovered that her birth record named her as Luzio. I will never know if this was intentional on my grandfather’s part when he went into town to record the birth in 1924, or whether his language difficulties led to a confusion in the Recorder’s office, resulting in the odd Luzio being entered as the birth name. Regardless, the name discrepancy gave me many fretful nights. In the end, I filed an affidavit of “one and the same personâ€

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Success in Vancouver

Postby JavaisLife » 27 Jan 2011, 14:38

Jerry - Congrats! Thank you for posting your recap. What great news!

"Maybe I could have managed this without you, but it wouldn’t have been as easy and certainly not nearly as much fun." Awww-shucks!

All the best,
Marie

caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Success in Vancouver

Postby caridimondo » 27 Jan 2011, 17:26

Awesome story, great to see people succeeding in this crazy process. Do you plan on living in Italy? I'd love to hear what kind of jobs you'll apply for or if you just plan on studying there.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”