Hi New to this Board Have a few questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
TinaC216

Hi New to this Board Have a few questions

Postby TinaC216 » 09 Feb 2011, 16:53

Hello

I was posting on another Board and they had me come here and read.
I have been reading for two days...you guys know a lot !!

I am going for citizenship through my mother.

My mother's mom (grandmother) was born in the US in 1918 to Italian parents and returned to Italy at 6 months old (her mother did like the US).
My mother was born in Italy in 1939. Her father was Italian and her birth was registered (I have a copy of his and her Birth records).

My Mother and Grandmother came back to the US in 1947 on my grandmothers temporary US passport. My grandmother had not been in the US since 1919 and it is stated so on the ship manifest. She was also married to an Italian citizen. They never gave my mother a separate passport.
My Grandfather and uncle came the following year in 1948 under the sponsorship of my grandmother. My uncle was born in 1946.

My parents were married in 1957 and it states on the license that she was born in Italy.
I was Born in 1959 it also states on my long formed Birth record my mother was born in Italy.

My mother Naturalized in 1980...I thought it was 81 but it was 1980, I have a photocopy of the certificate.
I was 21 when she naturalized.

For the record I am 100% Italian...

It was recommend to me that I just stick to my mothers line and not get into all the Italian mess my other relatives created...

I do have a problem and I appreciate my mother not wanting to "amend" anything because she is an established business person who requires clearance.

My parents married very young, they divorced and my mother remarried
her naturalization record is in that married name (Not my maiden name)
She also started using the name "Rose" instead of her given name Rosa on some of her documents she added a middle initial "M" for her confirmation name. The middle initial is not on the naturalization form or any of my records, it's her current stuff like drivers license etc..

Can these be addressed by a notarized declaration from her without have to change her documents?

Now questions Off topic:

I started this by looking for my Italian story...I subscribe to ancestry and a couple others. I have been to the FHL (briefly) and have looked at Ellis island web site.

I cannot find the ship manifest for my great- grandmothers return she came back about 1948-1949. Also I cannot find the manifest of my gr aunt and uncle My grandmothers siblings who were left in the US, when my gr grandmother and her infant daughter (my grandmother)returned in 1919 (yes she left a 2 and 4 y/o with her husband). They came to Italy later only to return back to the US in the 1920's maybe 1930's. This happened because I spoke to my gr aunt (96 y/o) and she remembers my mean gr-gr-grandfather who never stepped a foot on US soil.

Is there also ship records for departures from the US?

Last question...(for now)

will photocopies of Italian records do (I have several that had been requested at different times for various reasons) or do I need to get another ? I would imagine since they have seals and we are talking a small commune it would be OK. I hate to bother them for another.

Thanks in advance
Tina

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Re: Hi New to this Board Have a few questions

Postby Drew927 » 09 Feb 2011, 18:05

Hi Tina,

I would try to keep it simple and apply from your Grandfather, Mother, then you.
I don't believe the Consulate will accept photocopies of official documents so you may want to request new ones from the Commune.
Rosa/Rose should not be an issue but I'm not sure about the middle initial. Someone else is sure to add to this post regarding that.
Good luck,
Drew

TinaC216

Postby TinaC216 » 09 Feb 2011, 19:05

Why would I need to apply through my grandfather, if my Mother was an acknowledged Italian Citizen as evidence that she received a Naturalization Cert in 1980 and has birth records from Italy?

I could do this but this would require several more pieces of paper work.
Plus there are a gazzillion stories and some typos that would need to be addressed. I was told to keep it simple.

I thought according to the law at the time my Grandmother should NEVER had received that US passport. My grandmother was born in the US and spent about 6 months here. She returned as an infant to Italy and then married an Italian man in 1940 (actually they eloped in 1937 & Gr Grandmother made them get married by a Priest in 1940). I thought that marriage and the fact she didn't spend more than 6 months in the US made her automatically an Italian Citizen...No?

She took a Birth cert from the US which had numerous misspellings (the US cert) to the US embassy in Palermo right after WWII and they gave her a temporary Passport to travel to the US. They knew she married an Italian man and that she left the US 1919. Did the US Law and Italian law differ on Nationality?

There are SO many stories (as we all have them) that in my search I stumbled onto the fact that I could claim claim citizenship...It made this so much more exciting and VERY confusing.

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 09 Feb 2011, 19:45

Tina, you are correct.

I am just used to everyone going back to at least their grandparents.
When it comes to presenting documents to the Consulate, Less is more as long as they match up.

Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rodio » 10 Feb 2011, 18:42

Tina--

I agree with Drew. Make your application as simple as possible. Apply from your mother.

Use her Italian birth cert, her US marriage cert, your US birth cert, her naturalization record, and your (if applicable) marriage/divorce and children birth certs.

As for your questions about your other relatives' manifest records, post a separate question on the Italian Genealogy subforum on this website with their names, DOB's and relevant dates; there are regular posters here that are fantastic with finding answers for your types of questions.

Buona fortuna.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”