Question about documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Question about documents

Postby Xaymara » 15 Feb 2011, 21:36

I'm in the process of gathering the documents to have my Italian citizenship recognized via my paternal grandfather. He came to the USA in 1900, settled in Puerto Rico in 1910, and married my grandmother in 1914. My father was born in 1919 and a year later my grandfather became a naturalized citizen.

Except for my grandfather's birth certificate and his naturalization record, all my documents will be coming from the island's Demographic Registry. The registry office informed me that copies of vital records prior to 1931 are issued in abstract or literal form. They only make copies of originals on records after 1931.

Four of the records I need will be affected by this rule: my grandmother's birth certificate, my grandparents marriage certificate and both my parent's birth certificates.

I'm aware that the consulate (Los Angeles) doesn't accept abstracts, but I'd like to know if the literal official copy that I'll be getting would be acceptable to them.

Thanks in advance , Maria

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”