Which docs should I change?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MiaCarelli

Which docs should I change?

Postby MiaCarelli » 19 Feb 2011, 01:44

From all I've read on these boards, it sounds like I should start correcting some of my documents before my appointment. I'm applying in NY, GGF-GF-F-me. There are some discrepancies in my dad's name throughout. How exact do they have to be? Which should I change, and how? He is elderly so I don't like to bother him with it, but it sounds like it will be a lot easier to do while he's still with us.

His birth certificate has: First Name, Last name
His marriage license has: First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name
My birth certificate has: His First Name, Middle Name, Last Name
My marriage record has: His First Name, Last Name

His baptism record has: First Name, Middle Name, (Italian Version of First Name), Last Name -- so I guess we could use this to alter his B.C. if I need to add his middle name.

What would be the easiest/best way to do it? Thank you for your advice!

Mia*

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Which docs should I change?

Postby sceaminmonkey » 19 Feb 2011, 03:27

marriages are easiest to amend in nyc. however, since both your births dont match you need to get them corrected. I had to get my dads marriage corrected to have his middle name on it, I also needed to have my birth certificate reflect this also by adding his middle name. my suggestion is you amend your birth in nyc and have his middle name dropped since it isnt his true legal name anyway. then have him amend his marriage license. it is the least stressful adn the quickest. he can even mail it in or have it done in 20 minutes in nyc and all you need to show is his birth without the initial. I had my appointment in December 2010 2 months ago and this is when it was required.

Best of luck.

MiaCarelli

Postby MiaCarelli » 19 Feb 2011, 14:37

Thank you, Screamin for sharing your experiences. Is there any chance they'll allow me to take care of my parents' marriage record if I bring in my dad's B.C., or does the request have to come from him?

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 19 Feb 2011, 14:55

In NYC you may bring in the request for him. If the groom or bride are not present at the time then they will mail it out within 90 days. If you have power of attorney over yor dad it's dfferent

MiaCarelli

Postby MiaCarelli » 19 Feb 2011, 17:29

This information is very helpful. I didn't think about it but I do have his Power of Attorney, so it may be easier. Thanks.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”