court order

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mindean

court order

Postby mindean » 22 Feb 2011, 01:09

I am from upstate New York and working on getting a dual american/ Italian citizenship. I need my grandparents birth, death and marriage certificates from vital records, but i can only do this through a court order. How do I go about getting a court order? I am presently a student studying away from New York and hope hiring an expensive lawyer is not my only option.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: court order

Postby kontessa » 22 Feb 2011, 09:22

Do you know if anyone had power of attorney for your GP's, or were executor of their wills? Search on the various forums for posts from others trying to obtain records from NYS - a variety of creative methods have been used . I used the less popular, more expensive court order route. :lol:

mindean

Postby mindean » 22 Feb 2011, 16:55

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes, my aunt is the power of attorney/ executor of estate for my grandparents. I just found out that she indeed can order my GM birth certificate, GF death certificate and their marriage certificate, but only the parents of my GF can order his birth certificate- so it looks like I need a court order.

Also, I need both of my GGF & GGM death certificates. I was first under the impression that my great-aunt (the daughter of my GGF and GGM) could order the death certificates, but I am now having doubts... do I need a court order for these as well?

I found this link that outlines the steps needed to get a court order: http://www.ehow.com/how_5503599_obtain- ... -york.html. Does anyone know what kind of timeframe I can expect for this?

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 22 Feb 2011, 17:15

First, I would have your Aunt try to order everything and see what she ends up with. Keep in mind that they must be long-form and certified.

BTW, have you seen any of these documents before? I ask, only because it will be a waste of money to purchase these in certified form, if you need to go back later and amend anything. You can always order genealogical copies first, then go for the certified record once you confirm that all the vital information within is correct.

As for turn-around time on the court order - depends on the speed of the court and whether or not the state objects to your request. Mine took about 3 months.

Another thing to think about - wait to file the court order until you confirm what your Aunt is able to obtain. You'll want to have every document that you need listed in that court order so that you don't have to go back and request anything else later on. Good luck.

mindean

Postby mindean » 22 Feb 2011, 17:50

Thanks for the advice. My aunt should have copies of all of these documents so I can check about possible spelling mistakes. I know the copy my aunt has for my grandfather's birth certificate does not have my GGP names on it, which the long verison could have a misspelling as my GGF went from being Luigi to Louis and they both dropped a couple of letters in their surname.

Do you know if I can get my GGP death certificates from my great-aunt or is it likely I need a court order?

Many thanks!

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 22 Feb 2011, 19:46

mindean wrote:Do you know if I can get my GGP death certificates from my great-aunt or is it likely I need a court order?

Many thanks!

Neither my mother nor I could obtain my GGP's death records from NYS. These were included in our court order. I cannot say for certain that your aunt's request will be denied as well. You have to try first. Good Luck.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”